Wednesday, November 06, 2002

You know, newspaper soap strips are as addictive as crack and heroin. Even though most of them are far fetched and only tangentally resemble anything like reality, you get caught up in them when you read them every day and you just can't help yourself! My particular addictions range from the ludicrous Gil Thorp to the surprisingly well done Rex Morgan, MD (with art by onetime Batman artist Graham Nolan, who actually draws people that look like modern people!) to the banal Apartment 3-G, all of which appear in the Louisville, KY Courier-Journal. It was a dark day when they dropped Mary Worth, let me tell you. Anyway, back to 3-G...like I said, the strip, the way it is now, is as dull as dirt (but that doesn't keep me from faithfully reading it every single fricking day) but once upon a time, kiddies, it was smart and classy and extremely well drawn, and I was reminded of that era when I lucked up on an article thanks to a link on Sharpeworld. It was a retrospective on the glory days of 3-G and its artist, Alex Kotzky. Go here to see for yourself. A funny coincidence-after reading this article and soaking up that great art I posted a link to it on Shane Glines' Cartoon and Illustration Talkback message board, a place where people who appreciate that sort of thing tend to congregate, and much to my surprise I received a reply from the author of the article itself, who was happy I enjoyed it. Ya never know sometimes who reads the stuff you put out there.

Another link added today, at right. Evan Dorkin is one of the funniest and all around best creators working in comics today. I've been a fan since the early days of his Milk & Cheese strips. He just started doing a blog, and the link is to it. Go to www.houseoffun.com for more.

It didn't rain today, but it stayed cloudy all day so the gloom continues. Adding to this was car trouble with both my and my wife's vehicles, so this was not a happy fun day. At least it was Wednesday, which is NEW COMICS DAY! I picked up the new X-Statix, Mutant: Texas, Hawkman, Vertigo Pop: London, and Powers, as well as the oh crap! book of the week, the absolutely magnificent and enjoyable to read Comic Book Artist magazine, which is devoted to articles exploring comics history but is expensive as hell at $6.95. I love to read it, but it comes out infrequently and is sometimes a costly surprise...fortunately, I got a discount but that still adds a pretty good chunk to my weekly bill when it comes out.

Music today: Julian Lennon's Help Yourself (again), Wilco-Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and Bill Nelson's Blue Moons and Laughing Guitars.

No comments: