Saturday, November 09, 2002

Quickie update: I just added links to the site of God, AKA Alex Toth, writer slash fount of information (and Kirby bud) Mark Evanier and 100 Bullets artist Eduardo Risso, the hardest working man in the comics business today. Along with my absolute favorite illustrator, Mike Kaluta. Met him once, maybe I'll tell the story one of these days.

Toth is, quite simply, the master of sequential storytelling, and this site, now "official", showcases his work as well as features his columns. Which I sometimes find cranky and hateful and often disagree with, but jeez-he certainly has the right to his opinion.

Evanier's site has lots of interesting stuff from the world of comics and Hollywood and such. Good reading. If you like comics and movies and such, as I appear to do.

Risso amazes me. He has pencilled and inked at least 38 issues of DC's great 100 Bullets series all by himself (well, he may have an assistant, I don't know) in an era when many artists take months and months to pencil a four issue miniseries...and then still don't complete the job, and he has done so in an innovative, Eisnerish, finely nuanced style that brings out all the best in Brian Azzurello's often dense and convoluted scripts. Hats off to you, sir.

And ever since I first saw it in the pages of DC's 70's Shadow #2, I have been head over heels in love with Kaluta's work. If you find the series he did with Elaine Lee-Starstruck- in the quarter boxes buy it now. You won't be sorry, I promise.

No comments: