Monday, November 18, 2002

Let me just state for the record that nine and one half times out of ten I hate super hero parodies in other forms of media, and that includes unintentional parodies like Birds of Prey. I've always felt they were unnecessary and just served as a way for the perpetrator to demonstrate to his viewers that of course he didn't take such silly things as comic books seriously, that he (or she) was far too sophisticated and hip to write adolescent power fantasies, and the feeling that the scripter and director is constantly winking at the audience is like fingernails on a blackboard to me. Kinda like the Brady Bunch movies, for example...just comes across as mean spirited, no matter how well done they are. Besides, spandex slugfest-type comics pretty much do a good job of parodying themselves. The few super hero parodies that work (The Tick animated, Flaming Carrot, any Genndy Tartakovsky projects like Dial M for Monkey, Powerpuff Girls, and Justice Friends) transcend satire and become affectionate celebrations of funnybook cliches, at least in my eyes. I just get sick of seeing episodes of everything from Spongebob Squarepants (Ok, Mermaidman & Barnacle Boy wasn't all that bad, as these things go) to The Fairly OddParents to god knows what featuring funnybook sendups with "Captain" this and "What-have-you" Man that. But then again, since I just happen to be a lifelong reader of these funnybooks, maybe I'm a *wee* bit biased. Grumble grumble...

The reason for this little screed? I saw this link on Silver Bullet Comics.com and again, while I generally hate super-hero parodies, this looks interesting.

And now for something completely different...my friend Bob, whom I worked with for several years at a previous job, has been operating his own pizza parlor for the last year or so, and back in February he asked me to design and illustrate a couple of characters for him to use in a logo. Of course, thanks to my natural procrastionation tendencies, lack of confidence and nasty self-doubting streak, I have sketched and doodled but haven't actually given him anything. He calls me on Saturday and tells me he's entered into a partnership with some people who have worked with a couple of large pizza restuarant chains, and they want to come up with some sort of character slash logo ASAP. Bob, God bless him, still wants me to do it for him, so I guess I'd better get my ass in gear. Perhaps when I come up with something I can post a link to it here. We will see.

Music today so far: Sandy Denny: No More Sad Refrains (The Anthology) disc 2, Nick Drake-Pink Moon. Guess I'm in a British folk mood, huh.

No comments: