Saturday, November 30, 2002

Whilst digging around in my albums today, I came upon one that I can't believe I forgot when I was compiling my "10 best albums not available on CD" list. And here it is.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


This is "Flo and Eddie", the eponymous 1973 release from Mark Volman and Howard Kaylan, formerly of the Mothers of Invention and most famously from the Turtles. This album is a pop masterpiece, with many diverse styles and that patented Kaylan & Volman humor. It was produced by Bob Ezrin, who was producing Alice Cooper in his glory years at the time, and featured several of the musicians who played in the Mothers when F&E did. While this album was mostly (excellent) originals, there were a couple of great covers on there including a wonderful version of the Kinks' "Days". For whatever reason, it sold miserably, but I got a copy on a cutout 8-track (and have gone on to score the vinyl a few years later) back in '75 and have loved it ever since. To read about it on AMG click here.