Saturday, November 09, 2002

The ongoing archive watch continues. They're back now, except for the seven days that stubbornly refuse to show.

I think that people who practice religion are wasting their time. It has become painfully obvious to me that if you want to go to Heaven, then forget rosaries and Allah and becoming born again through the grace of our lord Jesus Christ. All you need to do to go to Heaven is root for the University of Kentucky football team. If you do that, you've already been through seven kinds of hell and there's no way Saint Pete can refuse you. If Father Murphy ever became a saint, then he would be the Wildcats' patron, relieving St. Jude. I just finished watching one of the damndest things I've ever seen as LSU defeated Kentucky 33-30 on a frigging desperation pass that the 'Cats tipped right into the path of an LSU receiver, who took it home as time expired. Of course, hindsight is 20/20, but when UK kicked the go-ahead field goal I was already apprehensively thinking that A. I really really wish they had taken one more shot into the end zone instead of running into a pile to get better position for the kick, and B. They left way too much time on the clock. Oh well, that's a stake in the heart of Draculean proportions but let's face it, UK's not bowl eligible anyway so who cares; and last year this game wouldn't have been this close. UK thought they had the game won (and QB Jared Lorenzen had already dumped a bucket of something over coach Guy Morris) and the football gods do not smile upon premature celebrations.

I finally got around to reading Friday's newspapers. I subscribe to the Louisville Courier-Journal, and buy a copy of USA Today every day to boot. The liberal-leaning CJ I read before I drive to work, and I read the USA Today on my lunch break. Yesterday I was running late to work and went out to eat lunch with friends, so my papers went unread. Anyway, in Friday's CJ (for contrast, I suppose- if not to assuage the cranks who constantly write letters to them complaining about their liberal stance) was a whole page in their editorial section featuring three of the most noteworthy conservative columnists, George Will (whom I kinda like, but I suspect it's just 'cause he likes baseball so much), Cal Thomas (who has apparently never met a Republican politician he wouldn't bend over and spread 'em for), and the repulsive, hateful Mona Charen. All three were crowing about the Republican "victory" and describing Dubya as "stupid like a fox"...and here I was thinking the expression was "crazy" like a fox. Anyway, that's fine and good and all's fair as we all know. I am no political expert. I don't follow politics like some people because frankly, they all seem to be bought and sold and it just becomes an us vs. them pissing contest. But I see this Republican "victory" on Tuesday last and to my unenlightened eyes they control congress by only a handful of seats- hardly an overwhelming number, in my book. But it is control nonetheless. The GOP would also do well to remember that they acheived this victory not because of their superior agenda but because the Democrats (or shall I say "Republicans Lite") failed to provide a decent alternative, preferring not to rock the boat. Will the Dems get the backbone to be a true opposition party? Will someone, anyone get some spine and rise up to be the leader the Dems sorely lack? How the hell should I know. All I can say is that I hope when Dubya's had his little dog-wagging war with Saddam and gasoline is back under a dollar and that evil snake is dead, like all good Republicans know God wants it and him to be, that each and every Republican voter will use the extra gas they can now buy more cheaply to go buy a flower, drive to the nearby cemetery, and place it on some soldier's grave. I just hope it's not one that belongs to my 20 year old son. And that, boys and girls, is my long promised political commentary. Please refer to Tom Tomorrow's page, link at right, for more intelligent discourse; he also has a thorough links section.

Also, while perusing today's Courier, I saw where the 13th Annual Louisville Film and Video Festival will be showing, among other things, A Skin Too Few-a documentary about Nick Drake. Big fan of Drake's here, and I'd love to see that so I think I'll drive up. It's playing at the same theatre where Spirited Away is playing right now; hopefully it will play there one more week and I can kill two birds with one stone. If you've never heard of Drake or his music, then you owe it to yourself to do so.

Recently in the news, at least the news of the comics world anyway, is Stan Lee's gripe with Marvel Comics, the company he helped bring to promenence as editor in chief and primary scripter in the 60s. After a 60 Minutes piece on the comics industry in which Lee was asked some uncomfortable questions, news came out that he planned to sue Marvel for 10% of Marvel's profits from movies, TV and so on. You can read about ithere. It's difficult to have much sympathy for Uncle Stan, who made his bed long ago and is now sleeping in it (albeit, apparently rather uncomfortably-or as uncomfortable as you can when you still pull down a million per), but the 5 year old in me who loved the comics that Uncles Stan and Jack Kirby and Gene Colan and Roy Thomas and John Buscema and Don Heck and so on did so long ago feels rather sad about it.

Looking forward to the new Justice League this evening...but that anticipation is tempered a bit because the JL cartoon has been a dull, talky, indifferently scripted and only marginally well animated disappointment so far. However, one gets the feeling that asses were busted making this one so we'll see.

Big NFL game tomorrow, at least for me: my beloved Atlanta Falcons take on Pittsburgh. I don't think they have a snowball's chance in Hades of beating the Steelers at Pittsburgh, but I didn't think they had a shot at New Orleans either so we shall see...I'm afraid they just don't have the offense. Come what may (and if you want to imagine me singing that like Ewan McGregor, then by all means), I anticipate sitting on my butt watching football all day tomorrow and cussing about my fantasy teams.

Music today: Ken Burns Jazz: John Coltrane (esp. My Favorite Things)

No comments: