Friday, June 18, 2004



You'd think that people would have had enough of Paul McCartney...I look around me and I see this isn't so...oh no...

Since it's his birthday, I won't take that lyric to its obvious conclusion, but will instead send out the coveted BSBdG to Sir James Paul McCartney of the Wings pop group, 62 today. Seems like he was in another band, can't recall the name offhand.

Favorite album: still, after all this time, 1970's solo debut McCartney. He's done many fine records since, but as far as I'm concerned he's never topped this, his homemade declaration of independence. Underrated: quite a few, like 1986's Press To Play and 1977's London Town (I've always thought "People pass me by on my imaginary street/ordinary people it's impossible to meet" was an incredibly poignant line from a songwriter not known for wearing his inner feelings on his sleeve), but I don't think he's done an album in a long time in which he stretched so much and got little recognition for it like he did in 2001's Driving Rain, which gets better with repeated listens.

Oops, almost forgot, while on the subject- I bid on and won this the other day. You may be a bit surprised to find out that I didn't already own a copy, but frankly I had no use for this particular Macca solo effort until just recently, when a chance hearing of the album cut "She's My Baby" made me think "Hm. I'd like to hear that again." Hooray for me.

No comments: