Monday, June 07, 2004

Adam somebodyoranother (can't find a last name anywhere) over at Completely Futile has written, in the best "kid who shouts out "The Emperor's not wearing any clothes!" style, a scathing critique of the first 10 pages of Bendis and Maleev's Daredevil 56, proclaiming it "worst...comic...ever". Naw, that's not a quote. Here are quotes. "...(he doesn't) remember reading a worse comic book" and "...it was awful from beginning to end". Dialogue and art especially "offend" him, as if he actually paid for the comic itself. Good thing he didn't! God knows what kind of carnage might ensue...

I am one of those who has praised Bendis and Maleev's Daredevil since their run began a few years ago. I've always found it intelligent, moody and thoughtful, and a cut above the usual spandex theatrics. Usually, stilted or clumsy dialogue and poorly proportioned, amateurish art (or at least what I perceive to be so) jumps right out at me and gets in my face like one of those clingy critters from Alien. So I guess either my mediocrity radar malfunctions totally whilst reading Daredevil, or I guess I'm full of shit and don't know a terrible piece of sequential storytelling when I stick my head in one.

Which of these is true, I'll leave for you, gentle readers, to decide.

Further proof, I suppose, of why you should take what I write about comics with a grain, nay, a block of salt.

No comments: