Tuesday, June 29, 2004



Over at ESPN.com, as part of their 25th anniversary celebration, they're inviting readers to vote on the 5 best sports-related movies of the last quarter-century. To see the full list of films you can choose from and vote if you like, go here..

Huh? My list? It went something like this.

1. The Natural (This flick chokes me up every time...one of the best film scores ever, by Randy Newman)
2. Eight Men Out (And me a White Sox fan! I think they totally nailed the period flavor and the performances are all top-notch. Shoeless Joe Jackson and Buck Weaver should be eligible for the gorram Hall of Fame)
3. Caddyshack (One of the funniest films of all time, bar none. Candy bar. Heh)
4. Major League (Another one of the funniest films of all time. "Yo, bartender, Jobu needs a refill.")
5. Hoosiers (If you don't apply silly stuff like logic to this film, it's a classic. Hackman is great as always, so is Dennis Hopper, and the basketball scenes are excellent)

If I had to choose another five:

6. Bend It Like Beckham (Most enjoyable film I've seen in a good long while)
7. Raging Bull (Brutal and gripping, a classic film film, not just a sports film)
8. Jerry Maguire (Hey, it's got Renee (sigh) Zellweger at her sexiest in it! What more do you need? What's it about? I forget. Oh, right: "Ambassador of Quan! Show Me The Money!" One of the things I liked best was Cameron Crowe's music choices for the soundtrack- love scene set to McCartney's "Singalong Junk"- brilliant!)
9. A League Of Their Own (I think this one set a record for combined airings on TBS, TNT and HBO/Cinemax in one year, but it's got a great cast, great story, Geena Davis looking all sexy and dirty, and Jon Lovitz going home to give his wife the "pickle tickle". Well, OK, it's got Rosie O'Donnell, but nothing's perfect...besides, she's pretty good in this. So is Madonna- maybe her best screen role!)
10. Bull Durham (A little overrated by many, but still fun)

I liked Cobb, but not enough to be in the top 10. Same for the cloying Field of Dreams. 61*, an HBO movie, was pretty good but not especially remarkable. I liked White Men Can't Jump, but Woody pissed me off so much at the end (whatta dumbass) that it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth when I think of that flick. Omissions? Where's Any Given Sunday? Happy Gilmore? Kingpin, fer chrissakes!

No comments: