Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


DC's just released its August solicitations, of which this sweet Mike Kaluta cover for Lucifer 53 is one. Just for grins, I think I'll go down the list and comment when something occurs to me:

BATMAN: THE 12-CENT ADVENTURE
Jeez. Last time it was a 10 cent adventure. Guess rising prices are just a fact of life.

SUPERMAN/BATMAN #13
Haven't we outgrown the need for this type of cover art? I mean, how does Supergirl swallow her food with such a narrow waist?

ACTION HERO ARCHIVES VOL. 1 HC
Now this might be actually worth picking up, if one had 50 bucks to drop. I used to read the odd Charlton featuring Captain Atom back in the day, and always liked them. Plus, it's 224 pages of Ditko in his prime! Wonder if Blue Beetle will get the same treatment?

FALLEN ANGEL #14
I have less than no interest in this title, but that sure is a swellio Philip Bond Cover. You know, I'd pay good money if DC would publish a comic written by Grant Morrison and drawn by Bond featuring Super-Hip! vs. The Mad Mod...

JUSTICE LEAGUE ELITE #2
I loved Joe Kelly, Doug Mahnke & Tom Nguyen's JLA stint, and I'm sure it's gonna be excellently drawn...but the more I read about this the more apprehensive I get. Did someone accidentally retype an old 80s Teen Titans, or maybe more apropos 90's Team Titans description? Either way, it sounds mighty lame.

THE LEGION #37, #38
Oh, to have started with such high expectations, only to fizzle out at the end. Maybe they'll get it right next time. I won't hold my breath.

THE LEGION: FOUNDATIONS TP
NO, G*ddammit! LEGION LOST! LEGION LOST!!! Jesus!

WEIRD SECRET ORIGINS 80-PAGE GIANT
This could be kinda fun, but the fun would stop as soon as I realized that I spent 6 bucks for it. Sorry.

THE SPIRIT ARCHIVES VOL. 14 HC
Ghod I wish I could afford these...they're really getting into the primo years now. What a great, classic illustration on the cover.

THE HOLLOW GROUNDS TP
Don't know a damned thing about this, but the cover's nice. Kinda got a chuckle out of the description, especially the reference to the "...startling appearance of men". Women have been dealing with that, especially early in the morning, for centuries now.

HUMAN TARGET #13
Nice to see Pulido back, but oh Lord, who let John Watkiss (cover artist) out of whatever obscurity he's been in for the last ten years? Seems like he was the official Vertigo fill-in artist for about 4 years there, and I've never understood why people liked his sketchy, oddly constructed work and shunned Warren Pleece.

THE LOSERS #15
Boy, I'm glad to see this book still on the schedule! Nice cover of Aisha, and I'm looking forward to her spotlight.

LUCIFER #53
If Kaluta wants to crank out about two or three dozen covers for this title, then that's just fine with me! Beautiful.

WE3 #1
Another bizarro Morrison/Quitely opus with an eye-catching cover. If I worked at the press where they printed this book, I'd snag about a couple of dozen sigs of that cover and staple them to telephone poles all over town, just to fuck with people.

WHY I HATE SATURN TP -- New Printing
If you haven't read this, in which Kyle Baker made his first big impression, then you should. It's a lot of fun. And best of all, Baker didn't color it!

Yeah, lots of comments, mostly about the covers...understandable, I hope, since that's all they show.

No comments: