Monday, March 24, 2003

Good morning. Took the weekend off from blogging, as you're no doubt aware if you're one of the few and presumably proud that read me regularly. Had a lot going on, which kept me away from the ol' iMac.

I've been watching the occasional game in the NCAA tournament, and as a Kentucky fan, so far so good. I used to be a total bracketaholic, was always in at least two tournament bracket pools, hell- I even filled out brackets for the women's tournament a couple of years there...but it got to the point where I was taking it far too seriously, and I would get extremely pissed off when the games didn't go my way (which is not becoming to grown men), so I stopped cold turkey last year, and didn't fill out a bracket, let alone enter a pool, again this year. I think it's better that way...I enjoy watching the games a lot more if I'm not in mortal terror that Winthrop is leading Iona with seconds left. Anyway, my alma mater Western Ky. got a for shit draw, and got eliminated in the first round by Illinois, too bad. Better luck next year, and I do think they'll be better next year. All I can say is go Big Blue.

I'm saddened to report that contrary to my statement the other day, the radio station that I work for part time has dropped the Dixie Chicks from their playlist. I didn't know this until Saturday, when I saw a message from the program director warning the morning DJs to stop bitching about the Chicks, in fact, to stop mentioning them all together, because it was getting out of hand and they were just picking at scabs, so to speak. Good for him, but I wish he hadn't dropped them. How disappointing...I'd expected better from them. Of course, I'm only there infrequently, so I don't have a say in the matter.

Watched most of the Oscar® ceremony last night...wasn't too surprised at the outcomes, except perhaps that Brody fellow getting best actor, and I'm disappointed my beloved Renee Zellweger didn't take home a statue. Oh well, at least she had a good seat. I suppose I should make the effort to see the Pianist someday, but I'm not going out of my way. It was cool to see all the Oscar® winners in the big group shot at the end, but I'm not sure how necessary that was...seemed like they were filling time and that's something that the program doesn't really need. Nice to see lots of Mira Sorvino, too, although I could stand to see more. I thought Steve Martin was often very funny. I would have been shocked and awed if Michael Moore hadn't delivered his tirade, and I was a bit surprised at the restraint shown by most of the participants– especially Barbra Streisand. I thought for a minute there something would pop out, but apparently she had decided not to give her enemies any more ammunition. Conspicuous by its absence from the clip saluting Oscar® musical tributes was Rob Lowe dancing with Snow White. I kinda liked Paul Simon's number, not enough to buy it, though, and thought the number from Chicago that Queen Latifah and Catherine Zeta-Jones performed could have stood about three dozen fewer dancers.

That's all I got right now, except for a couple of Bacardi Show Birthdays...but it's early and the day promises to be slow...so stay tuned.

No comments: