Monday, June 16, 2003

Watched Men in Black II last night. That had to be the most uninspired, by-the-numbers, indifferently scripted sequel I've ever seen. I can't believe that they spent as much money as they did on it...it's like someone took the first MIB movie's script, rewrote it, added the scenes with the Pug (some of which were admittedly funny), and sat back to watch the profits roll in. While it was well acted (Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones have great chemistry, and Rip Torn is always good) and not a complete disaster, the special effects looked cheap and unconvincing and the whole air of been-there-done-that just brought the whole thing back to earth with a thud. You'd think that somebody somewhere would have been motivated to do something, anything, different, but I suppose the play-it-safe instinct of the studio won out.

I'm just glad I didn't blow 8 bucks to see this at the theatre. It's worth catching on cable, like I did, or if you're desperate to watch something, rent.

No comments: