Thursday, June 26, 2003

Here's an amusing review of one of DC's newest spandex extravaganzas, the Outsiders, by one of Comicon.com Pulse's interns, who is an apparent neophyte to comics. She expresses a lot of confusion at the apparent need for knowledge of several decades worth of continuity to know who's who, and tends to dismiss things as "stupid" a lot.

It's bringing out some interesting reactions as well; posters are either falling into the "yeah, that's right on the money, and I'm so hip because I agree" or "how can she write about a subject that she doesn't know anything about" camps.

Me? I think its funny but I kinda dispute one of her points: I seriously doubt that someone who doesn't read comics is going to make a new team book featuring no recognizable characters their first stop. Nope, they'll want to go to something familiar first, perhaps a Bat- or Superman title. Outsiders is a book aimed squarely at the converted, not the idly curious, and to damn it because it's not geared to be a gateway comic is to miss the point.

Anyway, check it out for yourself. Oh. Did I buy Outsiders #1? Hell no.

No comments: