Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usGot my copy of Flight Volume Two from DCBS today, and while I haven't finished it yet, it's a very impressive collection. Many of the Vol.1 contributors are back, specifically Pants Pressers Vera Brosgol (her story's excellent, but I wish there had been more), Jen Wang (beautiful job- her art reminds me so much of Marc Hempel, but with a warmer feel), and a typically outstanding story from Clio Chiang, in her marvelously fluid and charming style. Hope Larson's story is AMAZING- so innovative and clever in its use of color and her imaginative layouts. As a baseball fan, I really liked Richard Pose's tale of a young Cuban boy who wants to play in the Major Leagues (despite a printing error-a page got bound in twice!). I'm not really prepared to go into more depth just yet (ooh, irony- "depth" in Flight!), but I have every intention of doing just that ASAP.

Seeing collections like these, and so much great art and storytelling both in print and on the web, is a double edged sword- I am, of course, fascinated and enjoy seeing it, but it also makes me feel a lot like Ryan Leaf must feel when he watches NFL games. Coulda-woulda-shoulda. Everybody: "Awwwww..."

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usOne other thing: at right is one of the coolest album covers I've seen in ages, the British version (apparently there was a different compilation in the US) of a 1970's collection of tracks by U.K. guitarists, called, appropriately enough, The Guitar Album. Click on the picture to see it in more detail. What a great idea- each axeman that appears on the album is drawn as ifthey appear on old-fashioned tobacco cards. If you'd like to know more, I'll refer you to the place where I first read about it: Brendan's.


Oh well, that's all I got for right now. Been a long day. Hopefully more tomorrow.

No comments: