Thursday, April 07, 2005

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Click on the pic at left- it's a great shot of Groucho Marx and Virginia O'Brien, another of those Forties screen stars I am so smitten with.

I'm thinking this is a snap from around the time of the filming of the Marx film At The Circus, in which she performed the strangest and most wonderful rendition of "Rock-A-Bye Baby" that I've ever heard. And lo and behold, TCM is airing nearly all the Marx Brothers' films tomorrow, and Circus is scheduled to air at 10:45 AM central time. of course, I'll be at work- God, I wish I had TiVo. My VCR isn't hooked up, either, and I'm not really in the mood to fool with it but maybe I can get someone to tape it for me. Virginia also sang a great tune, "The Wild Wild West", in The Harvey Girls, which co-starred Judy Garland and airs frequently on Turner Classic.

Correction: Sharp-eyed Jim Treacher informs me that Virginia and her "Rock-A-Bye Baby" song was in the later 1941 film The Big Store, not At The Circus as I erroneously stated. See? I don't know everything, now do I. It's been a while since I've seen either, and I got them confused in my feeble mind. But now, the record has been set straight and the way my luck goes, Store probably aired at a time when I could have seen it...

No comments: