Saturday, September 04, 2004


Guess what? On an impulse this morning at work, I searched eBay for runs of Kyle Baker's Plastic Man, and found one that was ending within the hour. Against my better judgement, I placed my bid and won- now I am the proud possessor (well, not quite yet- no money has changed hands) of a run of Baker's Plas for $7, including shipping and such. Not bad.

This was prompted by reading so much positive word-of-mouth here in the Comics Blogosphereiverse, which led me to peruse the most current ish, #8. Something involving time travel and Abe Lincoln, a little Bill and Ted-ish but it looked diverting enough. The panel that grabbed me, though, was the one in which Letitia Lerner made an appearance. Letitia, aka Superman's Babysitter, the star of the Baker story of several years ago which originally appeared in an Elseworlds annual until the DC Powers That Be got nervous about children's groups getting bent out of shape over farcical violence involving baby Clark Kent, and pulled the Annual. It saw release overseas, though, and caused a stir amongst the comics community until DC included the tale in what eventually became the first Bizarro Comics hardcover collection. So to make a long story even longer, that little bit of cleverness switched on the sputtering low-watt lightbulb in my head and I said to myself right then and there "Self (I said), you will get those other issues Aay Ess Aay Pee". Which I have now do-ed. Done. Whatever. Now, I gotta go pick up that copy of #8, and I have a sneaky feeling that it will be gone. I know, I know, don't be so pessimistic, people always tell me.

Anyway, just wanted to share the news. Have a nice evening.

No comments: