Friday, April 04, 2003

Some random stuff, mostly personal in nature. Warning, boredom hazard.

My little winning streak on eBay continues! I did indeed bid on, and win, the Mary Travers Circles LP as well as the second collected Kane trade paperback by Paul Grist, "Rabbit Hunt". That's four straight auctions I've bid on and won! I have got to stop for a while.

Tomorrow is new turntable day! It came in on Thursday but tomorrow's the only chance I'll have to go and pick it up.

Went to the optometrist today...first time since, I think, 1991. I am pleased to report, much to my surprise, that I have 20/20 vision. She said I might need reading glasses eventually, but not for a while. Whew! Note: it's a bitch driving after you've had your pupils dilated.

I went to see Spirited Away again last night with the Bacardi Show Political Correspondent and mutual friend/nice guy/excellent artist/all around swell person Brandon. It was as good the second time as it was the first. I don't usually go see films more than once during their theatrical run...the only other time I can recall was when I took my son to see the Mask a week after seeing it on a business trip to Dayton, Ohio. Just remembered that today, Chris.

Speaking of the ol' Sonny boy, he just came in and left the new White Stripes CD for me to listen to, which I am doing even as I type. It's not bad so far...I gave a cursory listen to their first when it came out, and liked it OK but not enough to pick it up for myself. This is grabbing me more than that one did. Just what I need...more new music to buy. I placed an order from Columbia House a while back and received it today: the latest from the Old 97's frontman Rhett Miller- the Instigator; the Flaming Lips' Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, and a copy of T.Rex's Electric Warrior which I was led to believe from the CH website was the recent reissue but is instead the decade-plus old Warner/Reprise version, OK in itself, I suppose, but I wanted the reissue. The WBR release is a bare-bones package, and I already have that landmark record on vinyl. I'm thinking about sending it back, but then I think "Hm..it would be nice to have it on CD one way or the other" so I don't know what I'll do. Getting back to that Flaming Lips album, I'm VERY impressed with it so far. How can you NOT like songs with titles like "Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell" and "In the Morning of the Magicians"? I remember the Lips from back about '94, and they didn't make much of an impression on me except for "She Don't Use Jelly" which was catchy but totally unlike the rest of the album from whence it came. Of course, bearing in mind that I've only given it one brief listen, I hear some brilliant moments on Yoshimi...and I especially love the gorgeous, soaring track "Do You Realize??"

A link or two found hither and yon:

Send someone a voodoo curse online! (Please, not me! I'll send it back, you know)
The H.P. Lovecraft Library
Meanings of gemstones.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Brief comics note of interest and accompanying illustration:

Apparently Top Cow, a company whose comics I've persistently failed to read on a regular basis, is putting out a line of toys based on its Witchblade Animated series. Problem is, there is no Witchblade Animated series. Now, I have no problem with this, since it would probably be as lame as its live action TNT series of a year or so ago was. But it's interesting to me solely because of the top-flight talent used to design the characters: Darwyn (Catwoman, X-Statix) Cooke and Jason (Jingle Belle, Alison Dare, Mutant:Texas) Bone. Plus, the Newsarama article which I'm linking to has some very nice Batman-animated style spot illos by one Ken Lilly, who is the head designer at Palisades Toys, manufacturer of the WItchblade Animated line. Is it just me, or can everybody do that Timm-style stuff but me? Maybe if I actually practiced...oh well. The character above is named Magdalene, I understand...click on the picture to go to the Newsarama article.

All right, all right, I'll wind it up now. Much to do tomorrow. Oyasumi nasai.

You know, that White Stripes is pretty darn good...