Tuesday, April 08, 2003

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

BSBG's go out today to Patricia Arquette, who has appeared in a number of quirky movies over the years such as Bringing Out The Dead and True Romance along with the muddled and unwatchable Lost Highway and made a huge impression on me in the otherwise labored comedy Goodbye Lover, wearing clunky high heels, blonde wig and playing a murderous real estate agent that psyches herself up by listening to show tunes, specifically "My Favorite Things" from the Sound of Music. She takes a lot of hits for her perceived lack of acting ability, but as far as I can tell she's just fine and is always welcome on the JBS viewing screen. She also appears in the feature spot at above right...I liked both pictures and couldn't not use one of them.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Also, sharing Patricia's birthday is the eldest Beatleson Julian Lennon. Jules ended years of speculation about whether or not he would follow in his father's footsteps by releasing the slight and forgettable "Valotte" in 1984. However, the album yielded a couple of surprise hits, and he released an even more slight and forgettable follow-up in '86. Then he decided to get serious and put out the markedly better Mr. Jordan in 1989. That album stiffed and the record company seemed to lose interest in him, so he responded by recording the 1991 album Help Yourself, which in my humble opinion was a minor pop masterpiece and one of the best albums of the 90's. He then walked away from the biz until 1998 when he released the (again, in my opinion) hugely disappointing Photograph Smile, whch struck me as weepy, whining and bloated. Oh well...happy b-day to you anyway, Julian.

Apologies for seemingly turning this into a birthday blog; it's been so busy at work and I've had few opportunities to sit down and write when I get home as well. These birthday things are about all I can wrap my head around right now! Hopefully it will get better soon...and hopefully I'll have more substantial fare down the road.