Monday, June 27, 2005

Yeah, so I decided to take the weekend off. So what?

Anyway, I'm hoping to get some substantial posts up later, plus I'm right in the middle of burning CDs for the round 2 Mixed Bag thang. In the meantime, here's some odds n' sods, mostly links from nice people who want me to check out their stuff, and apologies if you've already seen these at other places, I'm always unfashionably late, I'm afraid.

New at Comic Book Galaxy today: an outstanding column by Marc Sobel about comics criticism as reflected through Dan Clowes' Ice Haven, and Logan "James K" Polk opining on the Batman films. And for the record, Logan, I liked Batman Returns more because it was a good Tim Burton film, with all his attendant black-clad grotesqueries and idiosyncrasies, than a Batman movie. Plus, I can't believe you didn't love Victor Buono as King Tut in the TV show!

And for the luvva Pete, don't forget about the big AiT/PlanetLar/CBG contest!

The fine folks at Comic Foundry are constantly putting up great stuff for our perusal, like these interviews with new Catwoman artist Pete Woods and Smoke illustrator Igor Kordey. I thought Woods' debut issue of Catwoman was great, and Kordey's always been an artist whose work interests me, especially since the Black Widow: Pale Little Spider miniseries from a couple years ago. I just got my copy of Smoke this morning, I'm looking forward to sitting down and reading it. Plus, they're still conducting their signed comics giveaway, go look!

The Super Hero Origins blog, apparently comprised of original origin stories for original characters. Could bear watching, if you're inclined to be interested in that sort of thing.

Ladies and gentlemen, a brilliant birthday sketch, tossed off by Vera Brosgol, who rocks my world.

OK, that's all I got for right now. More later. This post brought to you by Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention's Burnt Weeny Sandwich El Pee.

No comments: