Monday, June 06, 2005

MIXED BAG PROJECT REVIEWS part 4!

GREG BURGAS' "CONTRBUTION TO THE MIXED BAG. AS UNCOOL AS YOU THOUGHT IT WOULD BE!"

Now, that's hardly fair- I had no preconceptions whatsoever.

Highlights: "P Control" from Prince, the funny and funky lead cut from his (in my opinion, anyway) last worthwhile album The Gold Experience. Steve Earle gets represented twice, once on his own and once in a duet with Lucinda Williams. Earle is a big fave of mine, and these two cuts are great, especially the winning duet. The Pogues cut, "Streets of Whiskey", good stuff from early on; and an interesting cut from someone named John Legend- "Let's Get Lifted" is a smooth old-school soul ballad, very nice. Two cuts from the Indigo Girls- I like the Girls, but was less than impressed with the album from whence these two came, All That You Let In. Of the two, I liked "Tether" best. Good PJ Harvey cut from what I feel to be her best, To Bring You My Love.

Subjects for further research- Legend. Always interested in a soul singer with a take.

No harm, no foul: Not one, not two but three Marillion songs- I find this group to be kinda Prog-lite, a little bland but not terrible. I'm not an ABBA hata, but "When All is Said and Done" isn't a song I'd put on a best-of. The Streetwalkin' Cheetahs tune was energetic but not particularly memorable.

The rest: The Geto Boys song was amusing, but I don't really have any desire to listen again. I wasn't too impressed with the Magnetic Fields or Liquid Jesus.

Re-listenability: Moderately low. I already own most of my fave cuts on this one, but I will most likely want to hear the John Legend song again once in a while.

Sorry, only time for one right now. Five more to go! And then round two begins and I'm gonna have to 1.) come up with the money to get mine burned and sent out, and 2) come up with a quicker way to write about them!

No comments: