Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Hey, all you comics history scholars out there! I have a question.

The first comic I remember owning was Tales to Astonish #55, with Giant-Man and the Wasp. But I have a fleeting memory of another comic, and I'd love to know what it was.

I don't remember what the cover looked like- early on I must have pulled it off and it is now lost to the sands of eternity. All I remember was this:

1.) It was a comic that featured at least two stories, non-superhero. One was kinda supernaturally-themed, and the other was a science fiction tale.

2.) The lettering was done, E.C.-style, with that A.Machine mechanical font type rather than by hand-lettering. I don't think it was an E.C. book, though, because by 1963-64 they weren't publishing this sort of thing anymore.

3.) One story was a recounting of the legend of "The Maid of the Mist" at Niagara Falls, with a Native American princess who killed herself for love.

4.) The other was a "absolute power corrupts" tale about a man named "Talos" (at least I think that was his name, it may have been the name of the planet) who starts out good but eventually becomes an evil tyrant ruling the world with an iron fist.

And that's all I know. Anybody? Bueller?

I can't give you anything for helping me out except hearty and heartfelt thanks and the knowledge that I'm forever in your debt. It's occurred to me that it would be nice to have a copy of this comic, if I knew what to look for.

Thanks!

No comments: