Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Quick! Name something that I had been doing on a monthly basis that I failed to do last month.

Give up?

Go through the DC Solicits, and comment on them for all of you! And nobody noticed! So does that mean I can never do it again, ever? Well, no. I think I'll take a quick look at September's solicits. Just because. And I do mean quick- there's not a whole lot there which piques my interest, I'm sorry to say, that I'm not already buying.

BAT-BOOKS:

Due to extreme underwhelm, I've pretty much decided to stop picking up Detective Comics. So, chances are that includes DETECTIVE COMICS #811.

I have a feeling that I'm going to wish I had been getting BATMAN: LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT, though, because of the D.C. Johnson/J.H. Williams III W.R.iting team. #195 is September's offering, #4 of 5. Nice Seth Fisher cover on this one, don't you think?

Another nice Adam Hughes cover adorns CATWOMAN #47- I've committed to coming back to the book so I can see what Pfiefer and Woods do with it, so I'll probably still be buying this long. Seems like there's going to be a bit more superheroic, or should that be suppervillainous, action involved under Wil and Pete. I wish that artist would ditch the shinyl vinyl uniform and go back to the flat-black Darwyn Cooke looke.

A little disconnect between the cover of GOTHAM CENTRAL #35 and the solicitation text, which states "With the discovery of a dead Robin...". Looks mighty alive to me here, champ! A little embarrassed to have broken the Batsignal, but alive just the same. I like that character, whose name escapes me right now, that turns the signal light on and is co-featured on this cover- hope this arc utilizes her in a prominent way. And not as a victim.

"And why is Deathstroke the Terminator at the head of Dick's crime world?" A textbook case of words that probably shouldn't be strung together in the same sentence, courtesy of the copy for NIGHTWING #112. Beavis and Butt-head pointed that out, huh huh.

If one has the cash, one could do worse than to purchase all three volumes of BATMAN ILLUSTRATED BY NEAL ADAMS VOLS. 1, 2 & 3 HC That's some mighty fine Silver Age stuff, yessiree.

SUPER-BOOKS

Now you all know that I am not a fan of either Superman or the Marvel Family, but I really like that cover for SHAZAM/SUPERMAN: FIRST THUNDER #1 . Best Cap Marvel drawing I've seen in a mainstream DC book this side of Alex Ross. I'd almost be tempted to buy this. Almost.

Heh...guess that's it. Good thing that DC doesn't depend on me to keep the Superman franchise going, right?

DCU PROPER:

From the copy for GREEN LANTERN #5 : "Guest-starring Hector Hammond!" It saddens me to think that there are people out there who greet this news with excitement.

KAMANDI ARCHIVES VOL. 1 HC Huh? Kamandi? Well, uh, sure, I guess...Kamandi was always an odd book anyway- it lasted almost three times as long as any of Kirby's other 70s projects, despite it being a poor fourth to The Demon, New Gods and Mister Miracle in the originality and excitement department. By virtue of being collected in an Archive, The Last Boy on Earth once again has the last laugh on his more-respected peers.

I like Warren Ellis, generally, and Gary Erskine's not bad either (although he's not a favorite), so you'd think I'd be all over JACK CROSS, but nah. It just doesn't sound all that fresh. #2 is the one solicited.

I gave up on JSA years ago, and I have no real desire to get its spinoff JSA CLASSIFIED, either. But I do like Amanda Connor's art, so I'm tempted. That's how they reel me in, you know. #3 is September's issue.

PLASTIC MAN #18: Kyle Baker has incriminating pictures. That's gotta be it.

I wouldn't mind having THE SECRET OF THE SWAMP THING, the manga-sized digest reprinting of the already twice-reprinted original 10 70's Swamp Thing is...but when it comes to digest-size reprints, size does matter and I think I'd just as well track down the Dark Genesis TPB if I was going to get these again. I used to have them, you know, bought many of them off the spinner rack back in 1973. Sigh. I echo Mike Sterling's call for the OTHER 70's Swamp Things to get the reprint treatment, the Michelinie/Redondo ones, anyway.

SEVEN SOLDIERS: MISTER MIRACLE #1 gives us an all grown-up Shilo Norman, and so far Grant's been money on this series, so I'm trusting him.

OTHER IMPRINTS:

One of the best things in last month's solicits was the long-delayed premiere of THE WINTER MEN, which was first mentioned back before The Losers debuted. #2 comes out in September, and I've kinda got my hopes up for this one.

CITY OF TOMORROW #6 is the final issue of what has been kind of a yawn-inducing Chaykin series so far. Maybe it will finish strong.

DESOLATION JONES #3 Now here's an Ellis project I like. The art has a lot to do with it.

SILENT DRAGON #3 is the latest issue of a series that I'm buying simply because of the good will that writer Andy Diggle has built up with me on The Losers. I hope I'm loving this in September.

BLOODY MARY was the first thing that Garth Ennis wrote that I absolutely hated. I thought it was crude, stupid, and obvious and if I had been blogging when it was first published, I might have given it the rare and not-so-coveted D- rating. That said, it's better than Fury was, and I would have given that an F...but lots of people liked it so your mileage may vary. I warn because I care.

LUCIFER #66 is an all-Kaluta issue! I can't remember the last time I saw anything other than covers by the man who has always been one of my top 5 favorites. Looking forward.

And that's it! Told you there wouldn't be much!

And by the way, here's August's solicits, in case you haven't seen 'em already.

No comments: