Wednesday, October 01, 2003

Random bits of musicality:

I have had two songs running around in my head for days now, and they won't go away: "Why Can't I" by Liz Phair, and, of all things, "Picasso's Last Words" by Paul McCartney.

I read where Joe Henry has a new album out right now, called Tiny Voices. I loved Henry's alt-countryish stuff, especially his magnificent Trampoline...but that was the culmination of that phase, apparently because his muse has pushed him farther and farther down the avant-jazz road ever since, and as far as I'm concerned it's been a dead end. Apparently with Voices, though, his muse has pushed him over a cliff, or perhaps straight up his own ass. Go here to read the hilariously overwrought AMG review.

Woke up rather early this morning, and had VH1 on for a while where I saw the new White Stripes video for their song "The Hardest Button to Button". Clever clip, which goes perfectly with the music. I've also caught the video for OutKast's "Hey Ya", and while I don't like it quite as much as Big Sunny D does, it's pretty catchy in a Prince meets Parliament kinda way. It kinda goes on too long, though. I still would like to hear the entire album before I pass final judgement.

Even though I had VH1 on earlier, I've been listing to the stereo for the last hour and a half. Music today has included, so far, Randy California-Kapt. Kopter and his Fabulous Twirly Birds, David Bowie's Young Americans, and John Lennon's Rock 'n' Roll.

You know, it's just occurred to me that I've never posted for posterity my 25 favorite albums, comics series, or movies. Maybe I shall do that soon. I must ponder this...