Wednesday, October 15, 2003

Gee, I didn't post a bloody thing today, did I?

I'll try to do better tomorrow.

I bought Hulk:Grey after all, and was relieved to see that he hadn't been retconned into Jean's brother. Ha. Just like comedy!

Also, at the risk of turning this into a "Johnny B responds to Sean C" blog, I was under the impression that when it comes to religious symbols and their effect on vampires, I thought that faith in the sacred icon or symbol was what made it work, not faith in the object, whatever it may be. Otherwise, if one could convince oneself that a pair of sugar tongs or a baseball bat (for example) was a holy conduit of faith, then one could fend off a vampire with them. I'm aware of what you're saying, though, having seen a dozen or three vamp movies in which items like 'Salem's Lot's popsicle sticks were used...still, I can remember where the ineffectiveness of a cross in the hands of an unbeliever was the filmmaker's (or writer's- I remember this was used often in Tomb of Dracula) way of making a statement of skepticism about religious faith. I kinda like it better that way, and am skeptical when anyone can pick up any sort of rectangular shape, form an X, and keep a vampire at bay because they believe it's a holy object. But, it's true that there have been a thousand different permutations and variations on vampire lore used in a thousand different stories, films, plays, and so on, so I suppose anything's fair.

God, what a geeky conversation! *grin*

Anyway, gotta get back to the Angels, werewolves, Marlins and Cubs. I'm flipping back and forth between the big playoff game and the show featuring everyone's favorite philanthropic vampire, just like I did last night with the game and Carnivale. Fun.

No comments: