Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Back about a million years ago, in the 1980's, my good friend Dave Puckett got me interested in a comic published by Aardvark-Vanaheim (and doesn't THAT take you back) called Journey. Its writer/artist, William Messner-Loebs, told a remarkably detailed and fascinating account of the adventures of the frontier scout Wolverine McAlistair in the post-Revolutionary War era USA, and while I will guiltily admit I never bought it myself but read Dave's copies, I thought it was a great series and wouldn't mind having a collection, if one existed. After Messner-Loebs wrapped it up and started working for DC on their corporate trademarks, it seemed to suck all the vitality out of his work and after being curious at first about how he would work out with these superhero characters, I soon lost interest and moved on, and forgot all about Mr. Messner-Loebs. I barely noticed, several years later, when his byline gradually stopped appearing...I figured he had gone on to bigger and better things or had retired to pursue other interests.

Turns out this is not the case- Mr. Messner-Loebs has been dealing with a lot of bad fortune over the years, as pointed out by the Detroit News. And now, the fellas at Mercury Studios have decided to try and help out by putting a bunch of art up on eBay to try and raise some fundage for him. If you've got the cash, why not go bid something up?

No comments: