Monday, November 01, 2004

In which your humble scribe discusses things of a political nature. And still manages to tie it in to comics.


Great recent cartoon by Pat Oliphant. Go here if it's hard to read.

I don't usually do a lot of politickin' on this blog, there are far too many others who do this sort of thing- and do it well- on both sides of the idealogical fence. But since a very important Election Day is coming up, I guess I should post about my thoughts on the matter. It's like this, I suppose- if you favor anti-intellectualism and narrow-mindedness, hiding behind threats, fear, the flag and the Bible, then you'll want your man- the incumbent- and his handlers to stay in power. If you value reasoned discourse and lean toward compassion for your fellow man, then perhaps his opposition is who should get your vote. I'm no political expert (although I do read my share of writing about politics) and am in fact quite apathetic about the whole process, believing both parties essentially corrupt and beholden to special interests, eager to please everyone and offend no one, as long as the proper pockets are lined...and that goes for Democrats as well as Republicans. But the current occupant of the White House and his minions have taken venality and mendacity (not to mention self-righteousness) to a whole new level, and this must be addressed...for the sake of the Nation and its place in the world. I'm not going to be easy on Kerry here- I think he means well, but his campaign message has been muddled and (mostly) ineffectual, his demeanor is stiff, dour, and didactic, and his prior voting record leaves something to be desired- but he at least gives the impression that he is willing to consider all sides of an issue (and understands these sides) before he decides...and I know that isn't important to many, but it's crucial to me. So me, I'll be voting for Kerry, since he appears to be the lesser of two evils. Significantly lesser. Now, don't misunderstand me; I'm not trying to tell you how you should make your selection- you are free to vote as you like, and I'll still be your friend. Even if you don't vote, and I certainly understand why people wouldn't, in this (and many other previous) election(s). Hell, vote for Nader or the Libertarian candidate if you can- I started to go Green four years ago because I sympathise with his position, but I decided that I would be voting for Bush if I voted for Nader so I decided not to. Well, there ya go. Add the Johnny Bacardi Show to the list of Democratic endorsements...but it's not a ringing one and Kerry better show me more than he has on the campaign trail.

For now, though, dig the cartoon and while you're at it visit reason.com for another great Peter Bagge illustrated article. Bagge highlights a very interesting voting process, called "IRV" or Instant Runoff Voting, which some have put out there and certainly seems like a logical alternative to the current mess we have now. Pete also experiments with using set type instead of his distinctive hand lettering, and it takes a little getting used to. He's striving for better readability, and that's a worthy goal, but I didn't have trouble reading his Reason articles before so I wish he wouldn't bother...

No comments: