Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us I see where DC has recently released their solicitation information for the month of February. Hey! Here's an idea! Why don't I go down the list and comment on them? I can't believe no one else has thought of that...

I like the cover for the collected BATMAN: WAR GAMES, by James Jean, no big surprise there. Will I buy it? Shyeah, right.

Striking Mike Lark cover on GOTHAM CENTRAL 28. Art will be by longtime inker Stefano Gaudiano, I see. Oh well, I'm not inclined to bail on this title just yet.

I love Doug Mahnke's art, as I'm sure you all know by now, and Ed Brubaker is right there on my short list of favorite writers...but am I going to buy the BATMAN: THE MAN WHO LAUGHS one-shot? I don't know. I'm sick to death of Joker stories, be it animated or on paper. This looks like another "on the rack" call, maybe if it comes out on a light week.

You also probably recall that I'm not much of a Superman fan either, never have been- but like Dorian at Postmodern Barney, I like Supes better in one-shots and minis, and as part of team books like JLA. Still, it's Scott McCloud, and he engendered so much good will with me via Zot! that I'll always consider picking up something he's involved with, like SUPERMAN: STRENGTH. Now, if McCloud drew it as well as wrote it, I'd be all over it. As it is, another game-time decision.

For the big finale of ADAM STRANGE, Andy Diggle has seen fit to exhume not only the Omega Men, but L.E.G.I.O.N. as well. Not being a fan of either of those teams/concepts, that news doesn't exactly make me shiver with...anticipation- but hey, I've liked the issues out so far, and I'm sure not gonna get the first five and not number 6!

I haven't paid any attention to BIRDS OF PREY since I dropped the ongoing title around issue #9, but judging by this issue's cover, at least, we're seeing a level of cheesecake that Jim Balent could only dream of. Looks more like a Maxim photo shoot than a superhero adventure! Not that I'm complaining, mind you...heck, I don't even buy the darn book.

BREACH 2. This series is illustrated by the Batgirl: Year One team of Marcos Martin and Alvaro Lopez, something which evaded my attention last month. I hadn't planned on getting this, but now I'm not so sure- I really liked their art on BG:Yr1.

JLA CLASSIFIED 4:"I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League" finally sees the light of day, and those of us who fondly remember the old Bwah-ha-ha Justice League and the recent passable miniseries rejoice.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us I like this cover for the third issue of the new LEGION series, which features one of the characters I liked, Triad. Nice use of symmetry, very clever. I see they've gone back to calling her "Triplicate Girl", which always made her sound like a legal form or somesuch- I always preferred the newer, more grown-up sounding code names, like "Gossamer" and "Alchemist" to the childish-sounding "Lad", "Lass" and "Kid"s; but I always felt like I was in the minority, (especially among Legion fans, and I knew a few, believe me) and the new Legion creators apparently agree that I am. Still haven't decided whether or not I want to buy this on a regular basis; I guess, once again, a quick scan in front of the rack will decide.

SEVEN SOLDIERS looks very interesting, and for some reason gets about five times the synopsis space of any other title. Grant Morrison. J.H. Williams III. Like Andrew Dice Clay says in those 1-800-Bet-US radio spots, "It don't get no bedda dan dat!!!"

SOLO 3 features Paul Pope. Say no more. Sold. I've been wondering when we were gonna see his work again.

Am I alone in thinking there might be some unintentional laughs to be had in this new SPACE GHOST comic book? And on a related note, I see over at Tom's place that Alex Toth is said to be miffed at the Williams Street folks for what they've done to many of his Hanna-Barbera creations. Well, no shit! Toth gets pissed when the wind changes! You just knew he wouldn't appreciate the likes of Harvey Birdman and Sealab 2021,all of which he did character designs for. Of course, it's not Toth's fault the cartoons were so wretched; the Hanna Barbera hack factory made utter crap out of Toth's concept sketches. But still, one wishes he'd lighten up once in a while. Sorry, I digress. DC Solicits, right. Onward.

LEGEND 1 is Howard Chaykin's newest; an adaptation of Philip Wylie's novel, which I haven't read. It's Chaykin words with pictures by the great Russ Heath, so where do I sign up?

The big grande finale of PROMETHEA, issue #32, is giving us "the most gloriously experimental issue...yet",and I don't know whether that fills me with anticipation or dread. Or dreadful anticipation. Or whatever. I think I'll pass on the big limited edition puzzle poster variant issue, which sounds like a big money grab to me.I'm sure I can be confused just fine by reading the less expensive edition.

I see where a movie-inspired HELLBLAZER SPECIAL is coming out, the first of many must-avoid events tied into that flick,I'm sure. This one features a character that died in the 80s, in the comic book, anyway, and has never returned except via hallucination or flashback. Joy.

Really looking forward to possible Rogan Gosh-style shenanigans in Grant Morrison's VINANARAMA. Seems like I've been looking forward to this all year now. They say it's gonna come out when?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.usI have less than no use for John Watkiss' art, but this cover for TRIGGER 3 looks kinda kewl. And here I was thinking that this was about Roy Rogers' horse. Silly me.

Well, that's all that looks comment-worthy, to me anyway. February is also the first month that there will be no new issue of THE MONOLITH. Too bad.

No comments: