Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Gonna get all metapostical for just a minute...

Thanks to a couple of most appreciated links, I had as many hits today as I've had in ages, maybe ever, and for that I am grateful.

But one thing I'm not is prepared- at the moment! I've gotta assume most of these hits are from people who've not visited here for a long time, if ever, and I should probably post some sort of insightful analysis or fascinating series overview, or even something about movies and/or music like I useta back in the day...and right now, I got nothin'. Happens like that sometimes, I guess.

But fear not, I am back from my break which turned out to be longer than any I've ever taken before, if shorter than I intended, and I hope to be able to provide a few interesting things to read before they pry my laptop from my cold, dead hands, which is apparently the only thing that's gonna stop me blogging anytime soon, so deep is my jones (if you'll excuse the expression).

So...what else?

If I've linked to you in the past, but you don't see your link in the section at right, please bear with; when I changed the template none of my links were preserved, and I'm having to replace them one at a time. I'm also taking the opportunity to check and see how many are still current, and that takes a little time. It's odd and a more than a bit sad how many links I'm finding that were to people who I "befriended" back in, say, 2003 but haven't visited, or heard from, in years- I'm tending to not relink them, because in some cases they no longer link to me, and in other cases it seems kinda pointless. I guess that's the way the blogging thing goes. I'm still planning on keeping the music, political, etc. links separate, but it's gonna take a little while to get to them. Heck, for all I know nobody clicks on those things anyway- I've seen posts about how many bloggers are leaving links off altogether, just to make their pages less cluttered. Speaking of which, I still don't know if I'm going to bring back the picture links I had on the old blog; it just looked like too much "flair" to me.

I'm also quite peturbed at my sometimes image host, Imageshack. Of course, I've posted a metric ton of pictures on this blog since 2002, and I've been through three hosts to do so, counting my first one- the name I don't remember, but when they went to a pay service, I bailed, and there are several pics from approximately 2004 I still haven't replaced as a cursory glance at my archives will bear out. I now alternate between Imageshack and Blogger's own Picasa, favoring Picasa because it seems less likely that I'll encounter the problem that's vexing me with the former- missing images! Apparently IS's system must be unstable or something because every so often, unexpectedly, I'll click on a link to an older page and the image will be gone, replaced by a tiny empty box. This is incredibly annoying, and emails to their support are greeted with incredulility, if not skepticism. Many of these images are from posts I'm proud of, such as the overview I did on Spawn of Frankenstein. Don't know what else to do about it, though, except rescan them, and who the hell's got time for that! So if you check out a page via Google search or something, and the pic isn't there, well, it must be the Imageshack Image Thief and I'm sorry.

OK, I guess this is enough for now, just wanted to let those who are interested know what's going on with this blog. More will be coming soon, this I do affirm.

No comments: