Saturday, April 03, 2004

Hello again! I know, I promised comics reviews, and the weekend's not over yet, but it's gonna be tomorrow sometime. Between an extremely busy two days at the Snooze, my sister-in-law's wedding rehearsal last night and subsequent wedding today, and other distractions, I've had precious little time for composing my thoughts, let alone channeling through my fingers and into your head.

I wanted to note, however, that another reason I'm a bit behind in my personal journalistics is that I've been devouring the care package I received from Mr. Larry Young , he of AiT/Planetlar renown. He sent me a heapin' helping of the offerings from his publishing venture, and I am in the process of making my way through them. My impression so far? There's some extremely good stuff in them thar funnybooks. Edgy, thought-provoking stuff. I don't know why I haven't been moved to sample any of the offerings from this publisher before, but I'll tell you now that will change. I am eternally grateful...but I reserve the right to slam any books I don't like.

On to other topics- as you can probably infer, I haven't had the opportunity to go see Hellboy the movie yet either. Early reviews range from confused to unimpressed, and now I'm a little trepiditious about rushing out to see it. I was kinda afraid this would happen- Del Toro and Mignola said all the right stuff, but it's obvious there's been a significant amount of studio interference, as there always is, because (as I've said many times before) The suits and real decision makers have no respect for the source material. None. And Del Toro can make all the "Hellcar" jokes he wants, but his (and Mignola's) vision has apparently been compromised, and all I can do, I suppose, is hope for the best when I do see it.

Thursday night's Wonderfalls was better, with a clever premise and a not-too-credibility-stretching resolution...but still suffers from having its characters behave in ways that the writers apparently think is cute and interesting to the targeted demographic, and couldn't care less about how actual people would behave in those situations. Ratings haven't been spectacular, so it may not matter much longer. I just hope XTC puts out that theme song on an album someday.

That's all I got time for right now. Tomorrow, if the fates allow, comics reviews, including that gilded turd titled JLA/Avengers.

No comments: