Wednesday, March 19, 2008

THESE ARE COMICS COVERS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE WHILST PERUSING DC'S JUNE SOLICITS.



AND THESE ARE THOUGHTS THAT I DID THINK AS I DID PERUSE SAME.

AMERICAN SPLENDOR SEASON TWO #3: I should be buying this, but I'm not. My loss, I guess. I never bought the first non-DC series either, although I liked the movie quite a bit and have always though Pekar was an interesting fellow by and large. I like this Darwyn Cooke cover, though- reminds me of the TV Honeymooners background for the opening and closing credits.

THE ALL-NEW ATOM #24: A female Chronos, eh? Actually, I kinda like that idea. Now if only they'd work in the J.F. Moore Chronos from the 90's. Here's another book I wish I'd been buying, and just can't face the prospect of buying trades and back issue singles to get caught up.

DIANA PRINCE: WONDER WOMAN VOL. 2 TP: Well, whaddaya know! Here's Vol. 2, and just a couple of months on the heels of Vol. 1! That's good news. I'm not so geeked, though, that this only reprints issues #'s 185-189 of the Sekowsky run, and pads it out with a bunch of peripheral stuff like Brave and the Bold #87 and Lois Lane #93. The Sekowsky era ran through issue 203, as far as I can tell (there were a couple of reprint issues and I'm sure a fill-in or two stuck in there, plus I know because I useta have it that Sekowsky didn't do #202) so does this mean we will be getting a couple more volumes? I sincerely hope so, especially because that aforementioned cool #202, with Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, has yet to be reprinted!

FABLES #74: Not much to say about the solicitation copy; I've been expecting the "Empire to strike back", as they put it. I just wanted to post that cover because, at the risk of being redundant, that's an exceptional James Jean illustration.

GREEN ARROW/BLACK CANARY #9: I like Cliff Chiang's Plastic Man on this one. Do I like it enough to buy? Nah.

HELLBLAZER #245: This one's by Scalped's Jason Aaron; I am beginning to appreciate Mr. Aaron's gifts quite a bit, but I hope he's just a fill-in writer- I want Andy Diggle to stay a lot longer!

JSA CLASSIFIED #39:
I've seen better Mahnke covers, but his Wildcat looks good. Y'know, reading the copy I see where someone has "stolen" Wildcat's fighting ability. This is something which has bugged me since probably the first time I read an issue with Amazo or the Super-Adaptoid...how exactly are "abilities" stolen? It's not like they're solid, tangible items which can be removed and spirited away. That's comics for ya, I guess. Well, since it's Wildcat, I guess I'll now give the obligatory shout-out to Dorian here, since he's the Wildcat guy. Y'know, I wonder- if Super-Hip ever appeared in anything, would other comics bloggers namecheck me? I wonder about lots of things sometimes.

MANHUNTER #31:
Hooray, Manhunter's back! And look at that cover by Liam Sharp, who underwhelmed the hell out of me on Testament's interiors! Every time I see this character, I hear that Nelly Furtado song "Maneater" in my head. I think it would make a great theme song for the TV show that will never happen.


MADAME XANADU #1:
Now HERE'S one I've been anticipating for a while now. Amy Hadley 's cover here is gorgeous- one of the best renditions of the character I've ever seen, and that includes Mike Kaluta's. That's high praise coming from me, you know.


THE NEW YORK FOUR:
I bailed on Local because I simply couldn't stand the lead character anymore. But, here's the same creative team, and boy, this does look an awful lot like Local- but without Megan. So I'm interested. Gee, I wish I was still getting comped by DC, so I could read and review it, and tell all of you what I thought about it, and most importantly not have to put my ten bucks(well, probably $6.50 from DCBS) where my mouth is...


SCALPED #18:
I see where Tim Bradstreet is doing the covers instead of Jock. Too bad, cause I loves me some Jock covers. But hey- I loves me some Bradstreet covers as well, so that's pretty good consolation! Kinda like getting stood up by Jessica Alba but getting to go home with Scarlett Johansen!

THE SPIRIT #18:
This is seeming more and more to me like a book in its death throes (although I bet it will continue until Miller's movie comes out)...but that's a sweet Joe Kubert cover for sure. Nice job by an old master.

TEEN TITANS SPOTIGHT: WONDER GIRL TPB: Can't explain exactly why, but I saw preview pages of this somewhere online and it looked like a fun read- I thought I'd wait for the trade before I decided if I wanted to pick it up. That day has arrived and I must choose!

SUPER FRIENDS #4:
Who says DC is all gloom and doom these days? This Jason Bone cover is one happy-looking little illustration. Until the pie hits, I guess, but still it made me smile when I saw it. Good show, J!


WONDER WOMAN #21:
I received a very nice email yesterday from Gail Simone, in which she let me know that she referred to my trio of posts a couple of years ago on the 70's series Beowulf: Dragon Slayer when doing research for something that she did not elaborate on. After reading the solicit copy for this issue, I think I know now, and wonder of wonders, I believe that DC's Beowulf character is going to appear in this very issue! Talk about an incentive to buy! We will see...


THIS NOW CONCLUDES MY MUSINGS UPON THESE SOLICITATIONS. THANK YOU FOR YOUR ATTENTION.

No comments: