Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Love is in the air at the JBS!

No, not me...well, sure, yeah- me and Mrs. Jones, we got a longtime thang goin' on. But I thought I'd take this opportunity to send out special congratulations to Raina Telgemeier and Dave Roman, who announced their engagement recently (and drew a charming webcomic about it to boot) as well as to newlywed Dean Trippe!

Now. Kinda slow this morning around here, so I spent a significant amount of the morning looking around on eBay for stuff n'junk like Bob Hope comics and early-mid '70s Jefferson Airplane albums, and old issues of Young Love with Lisa St. Claire stories in them. Found one, too, by the way, but the auction has a ways to go so stay tuned. Anyway, I couldn't help but notice, in my searches, how many romance titles DC had going there in the 50s, 60s & 70s...so, out of equal parts curiosity and boredom, I consulted the GCD to check out some of the covers for the likes of Girls' Love and Falling in Love...because even though you all know I'm as old as the dirt in God's tomato garden, and do indeed remember seeing romance comics on the racks, I viewed them, in my cute grade-school way, as "girl stuff"- boring and gross. There weren't any superheroes! So as a result, I didn't pay any attention to them at all except for seeing the odd house ad in a DC book or two. Here are a few covers I ran across, and found noteworthy for various reasons. Apologies if these cause trouble loading in your browser, but I wanted to show 'em to you as big as possible and not resort to thumbnails. Also, apologies to Raphe's fine blog, Thirty-two Pages of Love, for poaching on his thematical territory. So, is there anything else? No? OK, here we gooooo...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Groovy, huh! This far-out and fab psychedelic cover is courtesy of one Ric Estrada, who I remember mostly from his humor stuff in Plop! and the odd war or horror comic. Got this one on my computer desktop right now here at work.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This early-60s Girls' Love covert is here because it shows a couple of things quite nicely- first, the super-classy logo which got changed considerably as the decades went on, and the neat National Periodical Publications/DC Comics bullet in the upper left hand corner, identical to its superhero comic sisteren except for the heart in the center and the inscription "DC Romance Group". That brings a smile to my face.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Here's another interesting variation on the DC bullet logo. Interesting composition on this one, too- looks like Carmine Infantino was in a goofy mood that day.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

One more version of the DC heart-shaped bullet, and this one is similar in composition to the previous cover, just not as, well, risque...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Nick Cardy RULES THE SCHOOL, part 1.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

ATTENTION DAVE PUCKETT! BEATLES SIGHTING! DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS ONE? Maybe I should just check the Beatles 'n' Bizarros site instead.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Another example of that swank GIRLS' LOVE logo. Apparently April O'Day was an ongoing character. Interesting!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

What with all the tributes to the late Bob Denver, I'm really surprised no one in the Comics Blogosphereiverse thought to post one of these covers from the short-lived Many Loves of Dobie Gillis comic, nearly all of them featuring a so-so caricature of Denver as Maynard G. Krebs in Dobie Gillis. This isn't really a romance comic- it's closer to the Bob Hope and Jerry Lewis genre...but I had my chance to pay further tribute to ol' Bob, and I took it!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Speaking of logos- here's a late-'60s/early '70s issue of YOUNG ROMANCE cover with a logo that's kinda ragged, but it's brash and bold and I like it in spite of my better judgment. Early issues featured a more sedate version, similar to the Girls' Love style.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

BITCH! OOOH, I HOPE SHE GETS HERS!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Nick Cardy RULES THE SCHOOL, part 2.

Boy, they just don't make 'em like this anymore, do they.

No comments: