Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Lots of big stories flying around the world of comics lately. The Diamond Terms of Sale announcement. The Engine. The return of Omaha the Cat Dancer, fer chrissakes.

So what do I, as one of the "leading voices of the Comics Blogosphere", do?

I post romance comics covers. Like Bugs Bunny is fond of saying, "Oh BRUDDA". But fear not- I will now scale the soapbox and hold forth on today's burning issues.

My problem with the Diamond thing is that, as always, I see both sides of the argument and really can't favor one over the other by any significant degree. I guess it all comes down to survival of the fittest, and those smaller publishers will have to find ways to get their wares out there or die. Diamond, as the de facto distributor for nearly all publishers big and small, should, ethically, have an obligation to take care of all who seek shelter under its wing...but as we all know, ethics go to the back of the business bus. Steven Grant has a good take on this in his latest Permanent Damage column.

I'm registered over at Warren Ellis' Engine, not because I'm a creator of any note but because I'm somewhat interested in who else will be there and what will be discussed. That said, there's an awful lot of STUFF to go through over there, and unfortunately I don't have the time or the inclination to navigate its labrynthine structure...so I don't know how much of an impression, good or bad, it will make on me personally. And as we all know, the world revolves around me, doesn't it? Anyway, it could open up some potentially interesting future projects from its worthy roster of creative personages, so guess we'll just have to wait and see.

And I've always loved Omaha the Cat Dancer.

The Johnny Bacardi Show. Your place to go for hard-hitting comics commentary.

No comments: