Tuesday, January 11, 2005

I'll try to get today's Spirit page up later on today, didn't have time to scan one last night.

However, over at Wayne Bruce's Heroes & Villains, he reminded me of something which I haven't seen in a good long while: The 1987 Spirit TV movie. I actually taped it back then, and just might still have it although I haven't looked. It starred Sam (Flash Gordon) Jones as Denny Colt, and Nana Visitor (Lt. Kira from Deep Space Nine) as Ellen Dolan. It wasn't a total disaster, if I recall correctly, but was doomed from the start by a low budget, with TV movie production values, the decision to film it in the present day, and a smidgen of camp in the script. I tried to find a picture of it on the Web, but had no luck.

Bruce also points us to an article on CBR dealing with the proposed Spirit theatrical film, which is still in development. They're going to try, apparently, to take a Batman: The Animated Series-style "timeless setting" approach- not exactly 2000s, but not the 40's either. I won't get my hopes up.

Here's an earlier piece on the film at Superherohype.com.

Oh, by the way, on the subject of a Spirit film, I indulged myself in a bit of speculating the other day: what if they had made a film based on Eisner's greatest creation back in the actual 40s? Wouldn't my Forties inamorata Priscilla Lane have made a smashingly perfect Ellen Dolan? Take a look at the pic towards the bottom of the links bar at right, go to the site it links to, and tell me I'm wrong!

No comments: