Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Everybody in the Comics Blogosphereiverse is doing what all good Comics Blogosphereiversers do- going through the recently posted DC Comics solicits for April. So, maverick that I am, I'm gonna go through Image's! Then I'll go through DC's.

First thing that caught my eye was the latest from Courtney Crumrin's Ted Naifeh, DEATH JR.. Looks like he's channeling his inner Mignola on the cover illo, which I've helpfully posted above for your perusal. Written by someone named Gary Whitta, it's the story of the son of the Grim Reaper, who must get teased a lot at school since his pop got "melvined" by Bill and Ted. Anyway, looks like fun and Naifeh art is always worth the price of admission. I need to scare up, no pun intended, a copy of How Loathsome one of these days.

Nominee for the 2005 Bite Club award for corniest title pun goes to Mike Baron's new NIGHT CLUB. Actually, the synopsis sounds kinda interesting, but I can't buy everything, y'know.

ZOMBIE KING #O is by Frank Cho, done apparently in between redrawing Shanna. It will be well-drawn, I'm sure, but other than that all bets are off.

THE ART OF GREG HORN is a $25 trade collection of art by the modern-day Boris Vallejo. Horn's cover work for Marvel has, for the most part, struck me as stiff, boring, overrendered and about as sexy as Britney's discarded silicone bags. Still, for those who like, here's some more.

Under the "Image Central" banner, as opposed to the "Image Left" or "Image Right" or even "Image Catty-corner" banner, we find

THE ATHEIST #2, which is by Phil Hester and my old buddy from Hitman, John McCrea. I think I signed up for this last month; it sounds interesting.

After initially being prepared to ignore it completely, suddenly I'm in the mood to check out BATTLE HYMN, issue #5 of which is coming out in April. Don't know why, exactly, the Roy Thomasisms in the synopsis kinda make me wince. Sometimes the hunch area of my brain works in mysterious ways. Guess I'll check out a copy of #1 when it comes out, if it hasn't already and I missed it. Maybe it's because it's written by B. Clay Moore, and I love Hawaiian Dick so much (and I don't even know anyone from the 50th state, so get your mind out of the gutter) that I'm willing to take a flyer on whatever he does.

THE EXPATRIATE #3 is another Clay Moore joint, but it looks a lot more interesting than Battle Hymn. The synopses so far make it sound like a 24-ish exercise, lots of shooting and running and skullduggery and guys in suit coats and sunglasses.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.usWoo-hoo! New JACK STAFF (#9)! Always cause for rejoicing on Bacardiworld. I'm really beginning to wish that Paul Grist would kinda move away from the whole WWII Freedom Fighters thing, which he's been preoccupied with since the very beginning. Happy to see that Tom Tom the Robot Man is gonna play a big part in this issue.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.usLook! They're publishing a comic about the adventures of the MORA family, the pater of which coached the New Orleans Saints and the Indianapolis Colts (lifetime playoff record: 0-6) and is best known for funny press conferences in which he loses his temper (and says stuff like "diddley-poo"), and the son of which is the rookie head coach of my beloved Atlanta Falcons, and...huh? What? It's not? Oh, diddley-poo.


On that note, this concludes my trip through Image's April solicits. There will now be a short intermission before the main feature, DC's April list.

No comments: