Tuesday, January 18, 2005

A few comics-news items, while I have a lull in the old workflow:

Via Newsarama, Steve Rude's Nexus will soon be collected! For some weird reason, I passed on Nexus back in the 80s, despite admiring Rude's art, and while I've picked up the odd one-shot or mini since the original run stopped, I've never bothered to try to get anything remotely resembling a set. I might just have to sell some blood or something and get these collections.

Dynamic Forces, a retailer whose expensive wares I never partake of, has a contest on their site in which you can win a signed piece of Jae Lee art. I like Jae Lee art, so I entered. As far as I can tell, they're not charging anything, so what da fug. Contest ends Friday.

I found that on today's Lying in the Gutters, which also is sporting the pre-Marvel cleanup, uncensored Frank Cho pages for the upcoming Shanna the She Devil mini. Good stuff, and I'm strongly considering getting this.

Also via Newsarama: Free Comic Book Day is May 7, and they provide some cover samples. I see Owly, and a Flight primer among those shown.

Here and there around the Blogosphereiverse:

Dr. Scott at Polite Dissent is getting in on the Comics Blogosphere online contest mania, he's giving away a copy of a book with which I am totally unfamilar: Nikolai Dante: The Romanov Dynasty. I totally missed this retro/futuristic GN when it came out, but since I have an abiding interest in the turn-of-the-century Russia and all things turn-of-the-century Russian like art, social structure, literature, the whole Czar Nicholas/Rasputin/Anastasia thing, along with the Russian Constructivism art style...my curiosity is piqued.

Bill Sherman is bullet pointing, and mentions one of my all-time favorite movies: The Abominable Dr. Phibes.

Chris Butcher, who shows a Johanna Draper-Carlson-like predilection not to link to me, also goes over the upcoming Free Comic Book Day selections, with interesting commentary.

Tom the Dog recaps the Golden Globes in not one but two separate posts. Yours truly watched the Globes for a while, until Carnivale came on, then flipped back over to watch the end. The highlights for me were Ian McShane winning Best Actor, TV Series - Drama, for his role as Al Swearengen in Deadwood. I was hoping he'd say something like "It's about time you f*cking c*cks*ckers gave me an award", but alas I was disappointed, and Jamie Foxx's alternately touching and funny acceptance speech. Oh yeah, and the Shat won a Globe too! Brilliant!

Oh well, they've just dropped more ads in my lap, so I guess I'd better wind this up. More later, maybe.

No comments: