Saturday, July 02, 2005

Yeah, I'm home on Saturday night, blogging. I can't be a wild man every night, y'know!

Watched a few minutes here and there of Live 8, including the Who, Velvet Revolver, Snoop Dogg, and maybe somebody else but I've been reading Neverwhere so I might have tuned out a couple of performers. Didn't see McCartney or U2 (had to work this morning), and didn't see the Floyd reunion either. Life goes on. Actually, I watched a Chuck Prophet performance on PBS's Austin City Limits a couple of hours ago that was better than anything I saw at L8. What the hell does the "8" mean, anyway?

Watched most of Troy on HBO, too, before and after Justice League Unlimited. It was a decent enough spectacle, I suppose, nice to look at even though the script could have been livelier. I was a little surprised to note that I took Eric Bana a lot more seriously as a Grecian warrior than I did Huck Finn-faced Brad Pitt as superbad warrior Achilles. Peter O'Toole was pretty good, too, as the Trojan king, and his covert visit to Achilles in the film's last third was probably the highlight of the film. I hear rumours that Orlando Bloom was in it as well. Aw, I know, I saw him, but apparently it is his curse to be forever memorable as Legolas and completely forgettable in everything else. Actually, he did achieve one thing- his convincingly fey portrayal of Paris, the Trojan prince whose compulsion to run away with Helen, another king's wife and therefore start the whole bloody war. At several points I was hoping that Helen, Bana's Hector, daddy king O'Toole, anybody- would call him out for being such a dumbass...but no, he's my brothah/son/love- give him a free pass for everything!

Lest I forget, for future reference:

JLA CLASSIFIED 9: B
JOHN CONSTANTINE: HELLBLAZER 209: B
LOSERS 25: A
PLANETARY 23: A-
SEVEN SOLDIERS: SHINING KNIGHT 3: B
SHAOLIN COWBOY 3: A-
SMOKE 1: A
SOLO 5: A+

You'll all be happy to know that all my round 2 Mixed Bag CD's are burned and ready to send out. Now I just need to buy 18 envelopes and scratch up the postage.

That's all I got for now. Have a safe and happy 4th of July weekend, and don't hold on to the cherry bomb too long.

No comments: