Wednesday, January 21, 2004

Many in the comics blogospheriverse have expressed their best wishes to artist Dave Cockrum, who's fallen ill lately, and late for the party as usual I'd like to send mine as well. Like he's ever gonna read 'em, but it's the thought that counts, right? Anyway, here's Mark Evanier's most recent update on his condition. Like most comics readers of my age group, I first saw Cockrum's work on his excellent revamp of DC's stodgy old Legion of Super-Heroes in Superboy and the LSH. As usual, I picked up on this series after about three issues had already come out, so naturally Dave did two more and left, to be replaced by the awkward pseudo-Adams stylings of Mike Grell, whose work I dislike to this day. Not to worry- he resurfaced at Marvel a year or so later with a bang on the all-new, all-different Giant-Size X-Men #1, the revamp that changed comics history as we know it. I gave 25 fricking cents for my copy at Caverna Drugs. Anyway, I have fond memories of Cockrum's work, and hope he pulls through as soon as possible.

No comments: