Monday, October 27, 2003

I love this song. The rest of the album, less so, although most consider it (probably correctly but I just don't hear it that way) a classic. But this song blows me away every time I hear it, with those ass-kicking mellow soul horns doing the wango tango with that wah-wah guitar.

Sly was the Man before anybody knew what the Man was.

I'm on the verge of ordering this new Sly collection from Columbia House, because they're running one of those buy one, get three free sales which really means you still wind up paying five bucks shipping for your "free" selections...but when you total the cost of four new CDs from your favorite mall store and compare it to what you pay for your order, you make out like a bandit. Plus, CH has this sweet-looking Dave Brubeck collection, and I really really really want a CD with Billie Holliday singing "Autumn in New York"...if they have one... I'm also mulling over getting Macy Gray's second CD as part of this order, and I'd love to get the new OutKast as well but CH won't allow it to be part of any special deals. Feh. I could probably get it for cheaper at the CD Warehouse, used.

OK, I guess I'm done. I'm just rambling, waiting for the Monday night game to come on.

Update: I placed my order. In addition to the Essential Sly and the Family Stone set, I also ordered the Essential Dave Brubeck, the remastered and expanded Good Old Boys by Randy Newman, a longtime favorite album o'mine, and the Bob Dylan Bootleg Series Vol. 5: Live 1975-The Rolling Thunder Revue. Four double cd sets for $38! Don't ask me how I intend to pay for them, though. I decided to get the Macy Gray CD later, and they didn't have a Billie Holliday set with "Autumn" on it. Looks like I'll have to keep an eye out for Lady in Autumn: The Best of the Verve Years which not only has "Autumn" but her versions of "Strange Fruit", "Stormy Monday" and a song I heard Maria Muldaur cover nicely, "Lover Man".

And boy, does that Dolphins/Chargers game suck or what? Last time I ever pick a game on a hunch.

No comments: