Sunday, July 04, 2004



How did I spend my Free Comic Book Day, you ask? Well, let me show you. I went over to my shop after I got off work yesterday. Every other Saturday, I work 8-12 or so. Newspaper deadlines, gotta be there in case something needs corrections, or whatever.



The exterior of my shop, the Great Escape in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Located in a strip mall, with a Kroger grocery store, a KMart, and a bunch of other stores. Notice the Hellboy display at far right, a remnant from the movie promotion display they had set up.



Shot taken as I went in. Fairly busy day so far. That's Megan at the register, she's a sweetie. But where were the free comics?



Not here! But here's a look at their rack of new arrivals, trades and back issues.



Oh, here they are! And that's Angela, whose turn it was to pass 'em out. Her nose kinda squinched up when I took the shot, so of course it looks nothing like her at all. They had already given away a lot of what they had by the time I got there. Previously, they had set the boxes up on the counter next to the cash wrap, and let us pick out what we wanted, but this year they had it set up where one copy of each book they had left was out on the table, and we pointed out what we wanted, and they got them out of the boxes under the table. Whatever works, I guess. Certainly cut down the traffic at the cash register!

Anyway, here's what I picked up, and I'll try to write a bit about them later on:

The Shield, 30 Days of Night, CSI, 24 preview book (IDW)
Uncle Scrooge/Mickey Mouse (Gemstone) I'm not really a Barks or Duck fan- I picked this up for a friend who didn't think he was going to be able to attend. Of course, when I dropped by to give it to him, he had gotten off work and went anyway! Oh well, I got a Duck book now.
Alternative Comics Sampler (Alternative)
AdHouse Books Free Comic Book Day Sampler (AdHouse)
Johnny Raygun Classics (Jetpack Press)
Top Shelf Tales (Top Shelf) When are they just gonna give in and rename Free Comic Book Day "Free James Kolchalka Comic Book Day"?
Slave Labor Stories (Slave Labor) Best of the bunch so far, especially the hilarious Milk & Cheese Q & A page.
Everest Preview/Love Fights (Oni) I've already got that Love Fights story, but I was curious about the Morse pages.
The Ballad of Sleeping Beauty (Beckett)

That's it! I've seen other titles elsewhere, so I guess I'll have to assume that my store didn't get a lot of them, or that they had all been given out by the time I got there.

I also bought a couple of CDs I had had my eye on for a while, just so's I wouldn't just go in, scarf up swag, then leave.

And this concludes my little photoblog essay. Thank you very much, and enjoy the rest of your holiday!

No comments: