Saturday, February 14, 2004



While I'm on a musical bent, here's a neat-o keen-o full page ad for one of my holy grail albums, Bert Jansch's Moonshine, which appeared in some music trade publication at the time of its release in 1973. Ain't it kewl? I took it from an eBay auction shot, in which someone had apparently removed it from the magazine and was offering it for sale.

In the "similar but unrelated" department, I sure wish I could find some of those old Warner/Reprise promotional publications, which were titled Circular and I'm sure were chock full of cool info-mation about all those fascinating late 60s-early 70s WB-R artists.

I also see where Lambchop have gone all Springsteen and Waits on us and are preparing to release two separate albums at the same time, titled Aw, C'mon and No, You C'mon. I must have these ASAP.

I dug an old CD out of the collection the other day that I haven't listened to in a long time, and it's been kicking my ass all week. Rhythm Killers by Sly & Robbie. These guys have had a long history as session men, performers and producers, and have released several albums as a duo. This one came out in 1987 and is one of the best funk-rock albums I've ever come across. Features great covers of the Ohio Players' "Fire" and Allen Toussaint's "Yes We Can Can", along with cameos by Bootsy and Mud-bone Cooper.

Finally, and if I've linked to this before excuse me, here's the official site of May Pang, who was John Lennon's lover during his period of estrangement from Yoko in 1973-74. I've never read her book, but I think I will have to do so one of these days. For some reason, and most likely because Harry Nilsson was so involved in it, I am absolutely fascinated by that period in John's life. Here's another interview about the making of Mind Games. And speaking of Lennon's past loves, one of the few memorable moments in thsi year's Grammy awards was Yoko choking up onstage during the Beatle tribute. Very sad, and just serves to remind not only what we all have lost, but how much it still hurts, even though it's been over twenty years now. Another memorable moment: The White Stripes, who kicked ass and took names. Jack was just manhandling that guitar, and Meg was beating the shit out of her drums, and I'll bet it woke more than a few folks up in the audience. Made me sit up and take notice, it did...

No comments: