Friday, November 07, 2003

On the subject of The Dark Knight Strikes Back, after seeing a couple of items here and there praising it:

I hated it. Thought it was a spiteful, offputting big fat "fuck you" right in the face of the very people who want to admire Miller's work the most: comic book fans. Garish, ugly, often dumb and crude, with absoultely none of the style and wit he brought to its predecessor. Miller was simply taking the money and saying to his readers "You want super-heroes from me instead of Elmore Leonard or Greek warriors? OK, fine. Here you go. Enjoy!" And if indeed that was his intention, then he succeeded admirably.

I don't expect reverence for the form from Miller, God knows, and would have been equally as disappointed if he had turned in something like JLA/Avengers, but I don't think it was too much to expect a little subtlety and class. I can appreciate what Dirk and others said about it, because of the (often justified) negative feelings some people have about the state of comics and comics fandom. But as someone who still sees a few pearls in the old swine pen occasionally, I just didn't care for Frank's wet fart in the face of the fanboy.

And it also pissed me off that I spent around twenty bucks for those three issues combined. It always comes down to money, doesn't it!

No comments: