Wednesday, November 12, 2003

... there are too many mediocre fucking comic books and you really need to stop buying them.

This is the quote that's making the rounds, by one Christopher Butcher, who writes a column highlighting (and holding forth on, as well) upcoming comics and trades for Previews. Of course, my first reaction was "well, why don't you let me be the judge of that", then I recalled the old saying about opinions and what they're like, and how everybody has one. But then I decided to actually read the column in which that statement appeared, and found that I enjoyed it very much- and not only that, I agreed with him on several of his observations as well. Kinda disagreed with him on Gotham Central, where the juxtaposition of real life and superheroics don't give me as much of a mental hernia as it does some, but he's right on the money about Batgirl: Year One, which I think was one of the best things to come from the mainstream this year, and I think I'll have to check out Sei: Death and Legend. And while I'm thinking so much, I think I'll have to start reading his column every month or week or whenever it comes out. I'm also feeling more conflicted than ever about continuing to purchase JSA on a regular basis...

Credit where credit is due dept.: I think this quote was first noted by that notorious rabble rouser Alan David Doane.


Also, for some reason I have that Zappa/Beefheart thing from Bongo Fury in my brain: "Sam with the showing scalp flat top/Particular about the point-it-made."

No comments: