Friday, November 21, 2003

It's been a slow week for Bacardi Show Birthday Greetings, so I'll proceed to make up for that now.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


First, Björk Gudmundsdöttir, 38. Fortunately for us listeners, she's as adventurous in her music as she is in her fashion sense. Favorite CD: her first solo effort, the aptly titled Debut. Here's another good site for a bio. Next, Mac Rebennack, better known as Dr. John the Night Tripper, the New Orleans-based jazz and blues pianist who had a huge hit in 1973 with "Right Place Wrong Time" and the album In The Right Place, which is my favorite of his recorded efforts and also features the Meters. He's 63. Finally, one of my favorite painters, the late René Magritte, who would have been 105. Irrelevant aside: he provided the inspiration for one of Paul Simon's, of all people's, best songs: "Rene and Georgette Magritte With Their Dog After the War". Lovely tune.

Correction: I originally had included Harpo Marx in this, becuase one of my sources erroneously listed today as his birthdate when it is actually Sunday the 23rd. I'll re-post it then.