Monday, October 03, 2005

While I'm thinking about it, I believe I'll post some random stuff as it occurs to me.

First, I've posted another picture quiz over at the LJ, this time consisting of pics of musicians that came up with my iTunes (prehistoric OS9 version, of course) set on "shuffle". Go check it out and see how many you can guess!

I'm sure you're aware that my Last Call column was a no-show last week; personal issues kept me from imposing my opinions on all of you out there. I'm not sure exactly what this week's comics purchases will bring; in anticipation of my first shipment from DCBS, I cancelled most of my holds from my LCS, and I'm not certain when my initial book shipment will arrive at Casa Bacardi. I'll still be stopping in at the ol' LCS just to see what may have slipped in between the cracks, and I suppose I'll still post the Diamond shipping list later today, since you've all come to love it so much. I also have neglected to post my letter grades for the books I've bought in the last two weeks, and this will include the ones I should have reviewed last week and will most likely include in this week's Last Call. I do this to help me with my year-end best-of, which is speedily approaching, along with my 3rd blogiversary.

THE SUPER SCARY MONSTER SHOW: A-
ULTIMATES 2 8: A-
TOP 10: BEYOND THE FARTHEST PRECINCT 2: B-
SEVEN SOLDIERS: MISTER MIRACLE 1: B+
VAISTRON 1: C
JSA CLASSIFIED 3: A-
LUCIFER 66: A-
JOHN CONSTANTINE: HELLBLAZER 212: B+

From last week:

SILENT DRAGON 3: B-
WINTERMEN 2: B+
CATWOMAN 47: B+
B.P.R.D.: THE BLACK FLAME 2: B
DEFENDERS 3: B+
LOSERS 28: A-
SMOKE 3: A- Entire series: A-
DAREDEVIL 77: B
NEIL GAIMAN'S NEVERWHERE 4: A
LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #10: B
POLLY AND THE PIRATES 1: A

Got an email from Chris (Evening Shift) Gumprich a while ago- he's got a new minicomic coming out called Round Four, and it's online for your perusal right here. Although the story features another of those ambiguous endings that you all know I love, sarcasm intended, I think he's found a talented collaborator in artist Dennis Culver, whose work gives me a teeny bit of a Xaime Hernandez buzz.

Moving on to TV, Justice League Unlimited and Teen Titans have certainly come out of the box strongly, haven't they? The ongoing Legion of Doom stuff will provide interesting story fodder in the latter, I'm sure, even though I don't get the nostalgia buzz that some do from the old 70's Super Friends-era swampland hideout. And hats off the the JLU crew for making the Warlord interesting- I never ever developed a taste for Mike Grell's work, and that goes double for his lame Burroughs knockoff which has a fervent cult following among many comics geeks. The big news from the Titans premiere was the return of the Drake/Premiani-era Doom Patrol, cleverly worked in to the downright odd framework of the whole animated Titans backstory- or what there is of it, anyway. The lack of presence of their adult counterparts has always bugged me, and it was equal parts frustrating and interesting to be confronted with Beast Boy's "parents". Great to see the Murikami/Timm style Madame Rouge, too...but y'know, I don't think I'll ever be able to read or watch a story involving the Brain and Monsieur Mallah without thinking of what Grant Morrison did with them. That was funny as hell. Also, I don't recall Mento being such a leader-figure. And did the Chief, Niles Caulder, make an appearance? I don't remember seeing him. Anyway, the final scene, with the Brain assembling his own "Legion of Doom" to bedevil the Titans, was pretty impressive. And I saw Mad Mod in their ranks!

OK, the clock on the wall is telling me that I should be doing something else right now, so I'll wind this up. More later, hopefully.

No comments: