Wednesday, June 16, 2004



At the risk of sounding like a boring old fart, musically, (I fully admit that I qualify on the other counts of being a BOF) I just wanna state for the record that Rod Stewart's 1972 cover of Bob Dylan's "Mama You Been On My Mind", from his Never A Dull Moment album, is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard, with its pleasant, homey acoustic accompaniment with harmonicas, accordian, and steel guitar. Anyway, had that song on my mind (so to speak) this morning so I gave it a spin before I went to work. Man I love that song. Update: By the way, I did some checking and found that I had erroneously credited Danny Thompson with bass on this cut- after checking AMG at prompting from reader Jeff Sellers I found that he's not even listed in the credits. Don't know where I got that notion. I think he did play on an early Stewart solo album, but it ain't this'un!

While I'm on the classic rock tip, is there a more exciting opening to a rock song than can be found in the first couple of minutes of The Who's "Baba O'Riley"? With the burbling synth riff, then Townshend's syncopated, slashing guitar chords, then Moonie coming in like an avalanche on drums...boy. They don't make 'em like that anymore, do they?



Also, while I was looking for a picture of of ol' Rod from circa 1972 to post with this particular ramble, I ran across a site with a BUNCH of great photos of many of my 70s musical heroes like Robert Fripp, Bryan Ferry, and others like the above shot of the June 1, 1974 album and concert lineup of Kevin Ayers, Nico, Eno and John Cale! Conspicuous by his absence: Marc Bolan. Guess everyone couldn't shoot the guy. Here's the link, go check it out! Back in the day, I had a t-shirt with a picture of Neil Young from what appears to be the same show. Cool, huh.


Oh well, just wanted to share. The nurse is calling me back in for my feeding, then I'll get my catheter bag changed, then it's meds and naptime.

No comments: