Tuesday, July 08, 2003

Sorry, but not overly surprised, to read about the cancellation of Peter Bagge's Sweatshop book, from Newsarama by way of Journalista! (sorry, Dirk, I still haven't figured out that upside down "!" yet) .

I loved Neat Stuff and Hate, and have somewhat enjoyed Pete's attempts to assimilate into the mainstream, but Sweatshop just didn't grab me and that's why I didn't buy any issues after #1. It just came across as a jab at a target that nobody in particular wants or cares to see jabbed. Bagge has a great style and a wicked sense of humor but in the case of Sweatshop it seemed diluted, trivial and yes, dull. Kinda like the comic strips that Mel Bowling approved of. Ironic, huh!

It doesn't surprise me that it got cancelled- I'm surprised that it ever saw print in the first place! I'll give DC credit, though, for at least trying to broaden people's horizons, whether they want them broadened or not.

When it comes right down to it, though, you can bet your ass that I'll be right there to get the next project Pete comes up with.

No comments: