Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Hawk-AAAH!



While I'm asking obvious questions today, here's another couple. First, check out this detail from some hellasweet Kyle Baker Hawkman pages that he's been kind enough to preview on his blog. If you had asked me beforehand, I'd have said that few artists were less suited for drawing the Hawks than Mr. Baker, but these pages prove yet again that I don't know nuthin'. Unless I miss my guess here, that first panel above sports a pose that is nothing if not vintage Joe Kubert circa 1947. You can see the full page here at right by clicking to embiggen it.

Anyway, while scanning this page two things crossed my mind: Since we can all assume jets kinda go very fast in the sky, not to mention the atmospheric pressure outside caused by this rapid speed, how is it that Hawkman can stand on the wing so calmly, not to mention rip the frigging door off the plane? Yeah, yeah, Nth metal. It enables him to defy gravity, I suppose, but the laws of motion and nature and lots of other physics-type things that I am not conversant enough in to cite as well? Also, his bird buddies can survive the impact of crashing into a jet plane windshield, not only survive but break the glass and not end up as greasy stains?

This is some excellent art, but the events depicted seriously strain my disbelief suspension mechanisms, that's all I'm sayin'.

ETA: which is not to say I'm not looking forward to this; the last time I was this interested in a Hawkman book was when this was announced. Funny thing is, I don't think I bought them all. Guess I was disappointed in that one after all.

No comments: