Sunday, February 22, 2009

Black Hat, Gold Key.





From the letters page of the final issue, above is the cover- or so the lettercol suggests- for the upcoming TPB collection of the recent (like it says there) Solomon Kane: Castle of the Devil miniseries, by (as if you couldn't tell) Mike Mignola. I love this design, which is intended (or so I think, it isn't explicitly stated) to imitate and/or pay tribute to the old design of many Dell/Gold Key covers of the 50's and 60's. As someone who enjoyed a great many titles from that imprint growing up, I think it's about 650 kinds of cool. The only way it could look more like, say, an issue of Boris Karloff Presents or Ripley's Believe It or Not is if Mignola had chosen to paint it, rather than go the pen and ink and Photoshop route. I Tumbled this earlier today, but I wanted to put it up here in case you don't follow my Tumblr site. I think Mignola does a smashing Kane, by the way.

Reviews coming soon!

No comments: