Friday, August 31, 2007



FRIDAY NIGHT FIGHTS!


Tonight's FNF features Robert E. Howard's dour Puritan swashbuckler SOLOMON KANE, as reimagined by Roy Thomas and Howard Chaykin in Marvel Premiere #34. It's not quite uppercuts as in fisticuffs, but Kane gets in a nifty aerodynamic upperthrust as he deals death to the unctuous smuggler, rapist and murderer Le Loup.

I was moved to dig these out because first, I've always loved the Kane character- he's one of my top three favorite Howard creations- and I really liked Chaykin's unorthodox rendition, as Kane sports what looks like a rugby shirt and mismatched brown leather boots rather than dressing him in black from head to toe like most illustrators have done, and because of the recent news about another forthcoming series, this time from Dark Horse, featuring the character. I'll be watching that one closely...


BAHLACTUS SAID KNOCK YOU OUT!

No comments: