Monday, August 21, 2006

Haven't done this for a while, so here is a highly biased and brief look at some of DC COMICS' NOVEMBER SOLICITS!. The ones that moved me to write something, that is. Or, as the saying goes, judging books by their covers since 2003.



BATMAN/THE SPIRIT (above center)
Written by Jeph Loeb & Darwyn Cooke, Art by Cooke & J. Bone, Cover by Cooke

SOLD! Can't wait for the ongoing, either. Of course you know I'll be completely unbiased when time comes to review.


BATMAN AND THE MAD MONK #4
Written by Matt Wagner, Art and cover by Wagner

I'm waiting for the trade on these; I've got its predecessor on order from DCBS, and it looks like fun- just like this.

CATWOMAN #61 (below right)
Written by Will Pfeifer, Art by David Lopez & Alvaro Lopez, Cover by Adam Hughes

Looks like another outstanding issue, with more Film Freak!

SUPERMAN CONFIDENTIAL #1
Written by Darwyn Cooke, Art and cover by Tim Sale

I'm not the biggest Tim Sale fan in the world these days, but the notion of Cooke writing this has me interested. Wait for the trade, perhaps?

THE ALL-NEW ATOM #5 (above left)
Written by Gail Simone, Art by Eddy Barrows & Trevor Scott, Cover by Ladrönn

Ooh, Ladronn with an umlaut! Kewl! Anyway, there's something about this cover which grabs me. I see Byrne's not doing the art, whasup wit dat?

THE CREEPER #4
Written by Steve Niles, Art by Justiniano & Walden Wong, Cover by Justiniano

I was absoultely underwhelmed by #1, more on that later, so I don't know if I'll be getting this or not. Cover's pretty good, though, shown in its black-and-white form. It will probably look better in color. The interiors could use some color, something to make it a little less boring...

JLA CLASSIFIED #29
Written by Howard Chaykin, Art and cover by Killian Plunkett & Tom Nguyen

I think Killian Plunkett is a hell of an artist, and Tom Nguyen may just be my favorite inker in the biz right now, and together they look mighty spiffy...as this issue's cover attests. So you'd think I'd be all over this, wouldn't you? But I'm not! What is this world coming to?

JONAH HEX #13
Written by Justin Gray & Jimmy Palmiotti, Art and cover by JORDI BERNET

Oh, boy! Jordi Bernet! His issue of Solo was excellent, and I'm looking forward to three issues' worth, according to the text.

RUSH CITY #5
Written by Chuck Dixon, Art by Timothy Green II & Rick Magyar, Cover by Jock

Nice cover. Why is Black Canary on it? If Jock was doing the interiors I'd be buying. But he isn't, so I ain't.

TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED #2
Written by David Lapham and Brian Azzarello, Art by Eric Battle & Prentis Rollins and Cliff Chiang, Cover by Michael Wm. Kaluta

Another nice cover. Something about the Spectre brings out the best in good ol' MwK.

THE WARLORD #10
Written by Bruce Jones, Art and cover by Phil Winslade

NO NO NO NO NO NO! NO! I will NOT buy Warlord, even if you get Phil Winslade to draw it!

STORMWATCH: PHD #1
Written by Christos N. Gage, Art and cover by Doug Mahnke, Variant covers by Trevor Hairsine

NO NO NO NO NO NO! NO! I will NOT buy Stormwatch again, even if you get Doug Mahnke to draw it!

MIDNIGHTER #1 (below left)
Written by Garth Ennis, Art and cover by Chris Sprouse & Karl Story, Variant cover A by Michael Golden, Variant cover B by Sprouse

This, on the other hand, is a possibility, even though Ennis' act has thouroughly worn thin with me.

CROSSING MIDNIGHT #1 (above right)
Written by Mike Carey, Art by Jim Fern & Rob Hunter, Cover by J.H. Williams III

I am amazed to see Jim (Scarlett) Fern getting regular work again, when so many of his peers have faded away or gotten into other lines of work. Plus, this might be kinda readable- Carey did a nice job when he tried to incorporate Japanese mythology into Lucifer. That said, Fern's art has never excited me, so I'm on the fence. If only J.H. Williams III would do the interiors, then I'd be sold.

JACK OF FABLES #5 (below center)
Written by Bill Willingham & Matthew Sturges, Art by Tony Akins & Andrew Pepoy, Cover by James Jean

Not particularly impressed with this series after one issue, but I just wanted to say once more: James Jean rules the school.

Aaaand...that's it!


No comments: