Wednesday, September 03, 2003

The great Manga-or-not discussion continues. Forager has been the most recent contributor.

I don't really have anything new to add, but it has occurred to me that perhaps the American comics companies should also look into getting their product back onto newsstands and spinner racks. (Crotchety old man voice here) "Why, back in my day that's where we bought our comics, over at the Minit Mart or Jr. Foods store fresh off the spinner, or at Hallmark stores on their magazine rack! We didn't have any of those fancy-schmancy "specialty stores" until the early 80s!" I'm sure there are a thousand and one reasons why comics have disappeared from non-specialty outlets, and I'm sure 999 of them are valid, but a lot more people go into toy stores and and convieniece stores than "real" bookstores. Perhaps that's another avenue to explore-getting the distributors to carry and offer comics once again.

Just a thought.

No comments: